X-Particles 2.5 announcment

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2013   #46
This app is first on the self-directed holiday gift list.

Thanks for developing such an outstanding plugin at a reasonable cost. This one should be a no-brainer for everyone who is into particle work.

And the comments made about version 3 are quite exciting also. Revised physics engine = even more realistic liquid collision and foaming behavior? Maybe gaseous fluids if we're lucky. These guys are awesome.

Old 12 December 2013   #47
Originally Posted by obeardy: We have snow already in development along with sand, and a completely new multi-physics system for v3. The Disney snow is impressive.

mind=blown

If I retired from 3D today I would come back and buy v3 just to play with it. This is just too awesome.
HyperactiveVR
I reject your reality and substitute my own

Old 12 December 2013   #48
Originally Posted by obeardy: We have snow already in development along with sand, and a completely new multi-physics system for v3. The Disney snow is impressive.

is it possible to do something like erosion of an object with say sand particles?
resulting in sand blasting or surface smoothing.

in the disney example they are using snow to the additive type effect eg rolling snowball increasing size…would a subtractive type approach also be possible.

Henry Moore

Old 12 December 2013   #49
Originally Posted by flingster: is it possible to do something like erosion of an object with say sand particles?

in the disney example they are using snow to the additive type effect eg rolling snowball increasing size…would a subtractive type approach also be possible.

Well the tech exists (though this isn't really an xparticles example) around 30 seconds in you an see this effect (its ZeitG's Houdini/FLIP test reel)

https://vimeo.com/68757788

Old 12 December 2013   #50
You can achieve erosion somewhat crudely using Wetmaps and displacement, I'll tidy up a file I have been testing and share the render here.

cheers
brasc

Old 12 December 2013   #51
Originally Posted by flingster: is it possible to do something like erosion of an object with say sand particles?

what you can do with 2.5 already:
http://www.p.maicats.de/peeloff.mov

it´s just a quick test and needs some tuning of course, however I´m peeling a layer of particles from another one by particle/particle collision. You could peel them from a solid object and/or use a skinner for the outer layer as well...

Old 12 December 2013   #52
Excellent example, much better than my idea, does that skin well?

Here's the method I was describing, it's a bit of a hack but might be valid for some scenarios:

It's simply a Wet Map Shader in the Displacement channel.

cheers
brasc

Old 12 December 2013   #53
great examples peoplez..
i tried using a smooth type object bit like hypernurbs only more exaggerated in the past but actually doing it with real particles is a better looking end resulting sim object.
thanks.

Henry Moore

Old 12 December 2013   #54
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread