THE ULTIMATE MAYA AND MENTAL RAY ARCHVIZ GUIDE

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 11 November 2013   #211
Your work and patience is awesome my friend..., we should invest our time improving our artistic skills, not fighting with Mental Ray! :(

"Don´t trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 11 November 2013   #212

What a fantastic job my friend. I really need to get back to this and finishing this tutorial. Really amazing.

Old 11 November 2013   #213
Post A last note, before the final farewell..

Originally Posted by Ciro: What a fantastic job my friend. I really need to get back to this and finishing this tutorial. Really amazing.
Originally Posted by joie: Your work and patience is awesome my friend..., we should invest our time improving our artistic skills, not fighting with Mental Ray! :(
Thanks guys, really appreciated. Jose if we didn't took the burden to debug the flawed Mental Ray implementation in Maya, the new breed of Mental Ray users might not be able to improve their artistic skills while being busy fighting the several bugs and flaws.
Therefore a last note to inform you that on the previous page of this thread, I also provided the direct links to the Maya 2012 and 2013 raw scenes used to extract a few extra render passes to be composited in post such as: the 'Ambient Occlusion' pass, the 'Light Fog' pass, the custom 'Label' pass, the 'Light Glow' pass as well as the raw un-optimized 'misss_fast_shader2_x' Maya 2013 interior scene. Plus the link to the simple test scenes folder, useful to test the Mental Ray 3.10 'misss_fast_shader2_x' versus the standard 'misss_fast_skin_maya' shader.

Last and not least, I've also provided the direct links to both the Maya 2012 'static' production scenes as well as the complex 'nDynamics' scenes. Created using the Mental Ray 'Unified Sampling' feature, in conjunction to the 'mia_physicalsky' node and the 'environment lighting' (IBL) String Options as well as the Nvidia iray render engine:
Originally Posted by Myself: Featuring the Maya NParticles with Pfx Strokes instanced using the NParticles 'Instancer' node, as well as the Paint Effects surface interaction and collisions to Pfx Strokes. Used for the various Paint Effects, Dynamics and nDynamics nodes parented under the Aston Martin wheels. And that actually leaves trails, when drifting between the Pfx dynamically animated grass blades. The NCloth flags, the Nucleus 'Rain' Asset, the Dynamic Fluids and Particles, Soft/Rigid Bodies and the 3D characters Pfx Hairs. Animated using NFields as well as the Aston Martin Motion Path animation, converted to poly's prior caching. The Full 3D Motion Blur feature found under the 'Quality' tab of the main 'Render Settings' panel. As well as the 2.5 Motion Blur feature, with the 'mip_motionblur' node connected to the (2) main cameras as a 'Legacy Output Shader' as suggested by Zap on his Blog.
Please note that all of these advanced Dynamics and nDynamics techniques used in the above mentioned 3D assets, were also very well described by the
page screenshots folders listed below:

'The_Ultimate_Guide_Dynamics_Screenshots_3':

'The_Ultimate_Guide_Dynamics_Screenshots_4':

The 'Sponza_2013_Dynamics_Motion_Blur_Screenshots':

While hoping that this huge tutorial Guide "somehow" slightly and indirectly inspired young skilled instructors like Jesús Fernández, since his bro Isidro was following up with it, to come up with great Maya and Mental Ray tutorials like the "Forgotten Forest Tutorial":

Click the above image, to jump to the online resource.

I wish you once again an happy journey, through the steep Maya and Mental Ray learning curve. And that's my final farewell, Ciao..

Last edited by withego : 04 April 2014 at 10:57 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #214
One of the most annoying things of mental ray is that render proxies don't have depth channel!, so they appear in black in the ZDepth pass..., Any update on that?.

Old 11 November 2013   #215
Post Render Proxies ZDepth pass..

Originally Posted by joie: One of the most annoying things of mental ray is that render proxies don't have depth channel!, so they appear in black in the ZDepth pass..., Any update on that?
Jose if you refer to the Mental Ray Render Proxies instancer nodes, used in conjunction to the Render Passes feature displayed below by the link to the main Maya 2014 online help docs.
Only for you will reply one last time, since already wrote thousands of pages (the main pdf docs) and provided loads of 3D assets to be used as a reference for your projects.

Using render proxies in your scene:

Therefore will reply using once again a few quotes and screenshots, from both the main Part1 and Part4 pdf docs. If you bothered checking out both NOTE35 of the main Part1 pdf doc and NOTE50 of the Part4 pdf doc, you should already be acquainted with the correct workflow required when using Render Proxies stand-in geometries in your scenes. As well as the correct shader assignment order, used for the mesh object poly faces of the stand-in geometry.

Open the main Part1 pdf doc and either the SPONZA2009X32 Maya 2009 production scene created to show how to work with both the Render Layers and Render Layers Overrides, as well as the SPONZA2009X64 scene created to show how to work with the Mental Ray Multi-Render Passes features in conjunction to the mip_binaryproxy Render Proxy instancer node.

Originally Posted by Myself from the main Part1 pdf doc: Explore the last (5) p_color_plus_alpha Mental ray custom shaders, used in conjunction to the previous p_z1 custom shader. Piped to the "Input Color” field of the p_color_plus_alpha, Mental Ray custom shaders. Used to output a Zdepht Render Layer for the "ZDEPHTALPHA” layer in the SPONZA2009X32 and the SPONZA2009X64 Maya scenes. Also notice the png file texture nodes, piped to the “Input Alpha” field of the p_color_plus_alpha Mental Ray custom shaders. Please note that on the Master Layer, the png file texture nodes are piped to the “Cutout Opacity” field of the mia_material_x/x_passes materials.

From the screenshot below please notice the absence of the "ivy" high poly count mesh object, referenced by the mip_binaryproxy stand-in geometry. Since the mip_binaryproxy stand-in geometry, was rendered on the “ZDEPHTALPHA” layer in both the SPONZA2009X32 and SPONZA2009X64 Maya production scenes.

The "ivy" high poly count mesh object referenced by the mip_binaryproxy stand-in geometry, rendered on the “ZDEPHTALPHA” layer in the SPONZA2009X64 Maya production scenes:

Please note that with the above screenshots, I've provided the link to the Maya_Production_Scenes_2009X64_SP1A_Pro_Exr_Render s.rar zip folder. Where you'll also find the final output Multichannel Pro Exr image files, rendered from the above mentioned SPONZA2009X64 scene “ZDEPHTALPHA” layer.

Now please open the main Part4 pdf doc and either the DAYHDRPASSES2011 or the DAYSKYPHOTOPASSES2011 Maya 2011 production scenes, created to show how to work with both the Render Layers and Render Layers Overrides. As well as the Mental Ray Multi-Render Passes "passContributionMap" feature, in conjunction to the "mip_binaryproxy" Render Proxy instancer node.

Originally Posted by Myself from the main Part4 pdf doc: Please note that the DAYHDRPASSES2011 and the DAYSKYPHOTOPASSES2011 Maya 2011 production scenes, was created to present you with an in depth description of the Mental Ray Multi-Render Passes "passContributionMap" feature. Quote from the main Autodesk Maya 2011 Online Help: Render pass contribution maps. A Render pass contribution map associates a subset of lights and renderable objects in your scene with one or more render passes.

As you can see from the red arrows displayed by the screenshot below, the "ivy" high poly count mesh object referenced by the mip_binaryproxy stand-in geometry is correctly rendered in the ZDepth pass. The masking in black of the other objects, is the result of the Mental Ray Multi-Render Passes "passContributionMap" feature.

Please note that with the above screenshot, I've provided the link to the Maya_Production_Scenes_2011_Pro_Exr_Renders.rar zip folder. Where you'll also find the final output Multichannel Pro Exr image files, rendered from the above mentioned DAYHDRPASSES2011 and DAYSKYPHOTOPASSES2011 scenes “AODEPHTSHADOWS” layers.

While hoping this last post make some sense, wish you the best in your struggle with Mental Ray. Ciao..

Last edited by withego : 12 December 2013 at 05:15 AM.

Old 12 December 2013   #216
I will check it again, but, as far as I know, the ZDepth render pass only renders correctly with mip_binary_proxies, not with the regular ones. It's a shame you can't render correct ZDepth pass directly without any extra shaders, the assembly proxies SHOULD work right away in my opinion.

Old 12 December 2013   #217
Originally Posted by withego:
While hoping that this huge tutorial Guide "somehow" slightly and indirectly inspired young skilled instructors like Jesús Fernández, since his bro Isidro was following up with it, to come up with great Maya and Mental Ray tutorials like the "Forgotten Forest Tutorial":

I wish you once again an happy journey, through the steep Maya and Mental Ray learning curve. And that's my final farewell, Ciao..

Hi Alex! Thx for the share!!!, and once again I just want to say thx its amazing the amount of information that you do with the archiviz tutorial, I have no words to explain it, you are the best! no doubt, if there wasnt for you my progress would be a lot slower and all the info that you gave us could chance life oportunities for us all!!!

Thank you again !!!

And happy holydays!

Old 11 November 2014   #218
Thanks Alex for your hard work. I am still reading all the information.

Last edited by cyrus3v : 11 November 2014 at 09:19 PM.

reply share thread