Healthy Working at the Computer

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2013   #61
Smile Helpful resources?

A few (hopefully!) helpful resources:

Reading, Information, etc:

Monitor Mounts:

Desks:

Misc:

Complete Solutions:

Home Implementations:

-----

My Experience:

In my opinion, it feels good to be moving while working. I implemented a treadmill desk in my home office, almost two years ago, and it cost me less than $300 USD. (Granted... I was given the treadmill. All I needed to purchase were two Ergotron mounts (mentioned above) and shelving hardware (track, brackets, and mounting hardware) from Home Depot).)

I've found that I can walk and work, comfortably, walking at a rate between 1 - 2.3 MPH (miles / hr) for up to 12 hours / day.

Do I stop the treadmill and stand sometimes? Yes.

Do I take breaks here and there? Yes.

Are there days when I just sit or do a combination (sitting / standing / walking / other)? Yes.

(At the moment, in fact, my feet are feeling a bit hurt (my heels, in particular) and I have purchased some insoles. So, we'll see how things go for the next little bit.)

-----
UPDATE: Taking a day off (or at least a few hours a few times a week), adding insoles (for heel support, in my particular case), and using two different pair of (dedicated, walking) shoes (alternating--one pair one day, the other the next, etc) seems to be helping quite a bit, for now.
-----

Walking and working makes me have more energy and I feel better. My back doesn't feel as stiff, etc.

I, also, drink water all day long from a gray, Nalgene Tritan 1-Quart Bottle (Amazon.com, ~$10 USD).

-----

You:

As creatives, think outside the box (cliché, I know) and do what you can. Do what works for you! Not all of us have the ability to set up our ideal workspace or to do what we'd like with our desk / work setup.

[REMOVED comment about "pedal exerciser" due to regretting adding it + advice from "ambassador" (Ray), in his reply below. Thanks.)]

Try things. (Again: What works for one person is not going to be a viable solution for another.)

Best of luck to you, should you choose to pursue and implement something like this.

(Thanks for reading.)

***** DISCLAIMER: All Amazon.com links are affiliate links; though, this is not about making money. It is more about tracking to see if anyone even cares about a post I took over an hour to compile / write. *****

Last edited by maxwellvisual : 02 February 2013 at 09:07 PM. Reason: Added a few more links

Old 01 January 2013   #62
Nice additional resources Max. Just a note on the bike setup, for comfort sake, its best to go with a recumbent setup as shown in the source...a setup that does not distribute your weight from your bum a bit will lead to a sore butt...haha, I know, because before I had the treadmill desk I experimented with bringing in my trainer for my roadbike under my desk...after the second day my butt was a bit sore, since, sitting up straight on a roadbike does not distribute body weight well, unlike when your riding it with your body weight forward/distributed towards the front.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Old 01 January 2013   #63
Just noticed this discussion. Some really great info in this thread! Such an important topic for artists to get a handle on, and the sooner the better. I actually wrote a blog post about this very subject back in the summer.

Here it is in case anyone finds it helpful: A Life Less Sedentary

I myself switched over to a motor driven sit/ stand desk last spring. I will never go back, I love it! The benefit begins day one. you feel more energetic and I totally eliminated my usual afternoon drag. I sit on occasion but stand that vast majority of the day.

The desk combined with some minor diet adjustments and making sure I get 40 min at the gym at least 3 times a week and I dropped from 211 lbs to 188 in a matter of 3 or 4 months.

The treadmill is a great addition that I have considered at times. I'll have to give it another look! I work with a wacom for everything so I always assumed it would be tricky but it looks like some folks have had success with that setup.

Take care of yourselves!

Old 01 January 2013   #64
Originally Posted by sconlogue: I actually wrote a blog post about this very subject back in the summer.

Here it is in case anyone finds it helpful: A Life Less Sedentary

Great blog! Definitely a nice read - thanks to everyone who has shared all of their great info on this thread. Really interesting topic that doesn't get discussed enough.

Old 01 January 2013   #65
Thanks Maxwell for the links!

The treadmill desk looks like a very inviting concept - but how does one sit down if you need to?

Old 01 January 2013   #66
Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: Thanks Maxwell for the links!

The treadmill desk looks like a very inviting concept - but how does one sit down if you need to?

A simple/cheap stool (chair...hahaha) will do, no need for pricey mechanical height adjustable desks.

There are no "magic" programs that make you a better artist

Last edited by ambassador : 01 January 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #67
(Way too much text, below. Sorry.)

Originally Posted by LukeLetellier: The treadmill desk looks like a very inviting concept - but how does one sit down if you need to?

Originally Posted by ambassador: A simple/cheap stool (chair...hahaha) will do, no need for pricey mechanical height adjustable desks.

Like "ambassador", I have used a simple bar stool (think cheap, "wooden" Walmart stool) and set it on my treadmill's belt. It's light and can be removed (placed to the side of the treadmill) at any time. That way, I can start walking (or sitting) whenever I want.

I'm sure there are height-adjustable chairs that could work better or would be more elegant, comfortable, etc. Just make sure you choose one that won't damage your treadmill (due to weight, construction material and texture (specifically, legs and feet of the chair), etc).

Obviously, I'd find a seat without rollers.

-----

A more elegant, professional (yet, expensive) solution is a desk that is wide enough to accomodate both a treadmill and chair and is height adjustable:

TeadMillDeskInc (Store), has some models by SmartDesk... the Tower and Shadow. $1800 - $2000 USD (These are some of the least expensive--that I've found--of their kind.)

-----

Also... Since I have control over my work environment, I have the option of a separate, traditional desk and chair combo, placed next to my treadmill desk.

I'm working off of the same computer for both (walking and seated) setups. I either swap monitor connections or "remote in" (i.e. remote desktop, VNC) over my LAN (from the treadmill desk).

-----

NUTRITION:

Now, I'm far from a nutritional expert, but little things can go a long way...
  • Choose an apple instead of a Snickers / candybar.
  • Choose a side salad instead of fries--even if you get the burger. (On that note: Get the chicken, instead of the beef, sometimes.)
  • Drink water instead of soda. (Just cutting out soda alone will be a HUGE benefit!)

Once you start making the choice "automatic", it should get easier.

???

GETTING YOUR BOSS / COMPANY "ON BOARD":

Arguments for getting a setup like this at your place...
  • Happier, healthier employees which, hopefully, equals fewer sick days, more productivity, and better (overall) environment
  • Keeping your employees in better health means they will, most likely, be around longer. Less churn (Folks might be more likely to stay due to the benefits of this setup and the positive environment.), fewer deaths (Sadly, I've seen a few more go than need to in this past year... none that I know personally / IRL (in real life), but, still... too many.), etc.
  • Reduced health care costs, hopefully
  • Can you think of any others?

My hope is that any company that cares about their employees would at least test something like this, if requested, in a station or two and see how things go.

I know that budgets are tight and in many cases it's hard to see the benefit of adding $2K to an existing station vs spending $2K to add another station / workspace.

In my opinion... It's worth a try!

Hope some (or any) of that is helpful!

Last edited by maxwellvisual : 02 February 2013 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Added additional info to lower section of reply

Old 02 February 2013   #68
I've decided to go the cheap route of setting my monitor & keyboard/mouse on two separate blocks of wood when I need to stand, then just take them off when it's time to sit. I'll see how my first couple weeks standing go before I think about treadmills.

Old 02 February 2013   #69
This is quite sobering!

Twitter

Old 02 February 2013   #70
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread