Cool stuff on Autodesk Labs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #31
Quote:
Originally Posted by eworc
Vizfizz, I don't have Maya but I'll try something. I found the process rather slow but perhaps it was just the connection I was using. I think mustique's idea makes a lot of sense.

No worries. If you're having problems or don't have the time that's ok. If anything, tell us about your experience using it. If its slow, let us know too. We appreciate any critique and feedback that any of you have to give. All comments are welcome.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

Old 11 November 2013   #32
Where this characters can be used and how, copyright wise and so on,
I think that's the important issue.
(mb & fbx file format)

Thanks

Als

VFX rule no. 387
# Just redo it!

Old 11 November 2013   #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Als
Where this characters can be used and how, copyright wise and so on

"Use of Labs project data is supposed to be for personal trial use, not for sharing or production use."

Old 11 November 2013   #34
Thanks for all of the great comments on the Autodesk Project Pinocchio thread. We recognize that we have a great following with a lot of users who want us to increase quality and variety.

The comments on the 'child' characters are right on. This update is testing a technology that allows us to take blended ancestor models and 'attract' them toward a character with stylistically different features or proportions. In this case, the 'child' has the proportions of a 2 year old, so if you take some of the extreme adult characters and apply the child style, you really get something more like an 'extremely vertically challenged' adult.

If you want to get something that looks close to a 2 year old, choose some of the less extreme ancestors... and make sure you minimize the breasts.

We're looking into some of the other things that folks asked for in that thread including clothing, custom textures, more ethnic diversity and more.

And we will update the graphic ASAP...

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming!

Chris

PS: Unfortunately, it's correct that the characters from a Labs release may only be used for trial purposes and may not be shared in commercial works (derivative or otherwise).

Old 11 November 2013   #35
To Autodesk folks -

Regarding restrictions on use of the characters, I see that the Pinnochio FAQ says:
Quote:
Q: Are there any restrictions to using or redistributing my characters or images or animations generated from my characters?
A: By corporate policy, output from our Labs projects is not licensed for commercial use. Apologies for that. We are looking at how to change that in the near future.

However, when I started using Pinnochio, the FAQ said:
Quote:
Q: Are there any restrictions to using or redistributing my characters or images or animations generated from my characters?
A: No.

Checking on Internet Archive shows that the answer was "No" until at least Sep 27, 2013. Can you let me know when it was changed? I can certainly stop using Pinnochio in any commercial setting, but I'm wondering if I need to check dates of characters I might have created recently. Was a notice sent to registered users when the change was made?

Thanks!

Old 11 November 2013   #36
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjandrews22
PS: Unfortunately, it's correct that the characters from a Labs release may only be used for trial purposes and may not be shared in commercial works (derivative or otherwise).

I assume that using my creation in media (images, video) isn't sharing.

Old 11 November 2013   #37
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleabay
I assume that using my creation in media (images, video) isn't sharing.

As I read it, the Pinnochio FAQ seems to say otherwise. It would be nice to hear from the Autodesk people though.

Old 11 November 2013   #38
Hi folks,

When the Labs FAQ was originally posted earlier this year, there was an error that was fixed stating that there were no restrictions on the use of characters. The Labs agreement at the same time, was correct and reflected the non-production use of the characters.

Using characters in games, media, video, etc. that are produced for commercial purposes would be considered production use. Demos and production tests would not fall into this category.

Labs is a sandbox for us to experiment with technologies that may never be put into production. As a product manager, I've had good luck getting products from Labs to production, but we have accounting and legal restrictions around the product and service use because of this uncertainty.

We're doing our best to take Pinocchio to the next level. As always, examples and ideas help us to do so, so please send them.

Chris Andrews
Senior Product/Product Line Manager
M&E Cloud Services
Autodesk

Old 11 November 2013   #39
Hi Chris, I appreciate the reply, but it doesn't really clarify my situation. I have been doing some freelance work for a very large institution for a while. Part of this project involves using 3D character avatars to display some motion capture data. Back when the software which became Pinocchio was offered on the Mixamo website, I generated several characters for use in this project as the Mixamo folks were very clear that they were royalty-free. From their staff:
Quote:
Custom Character Pro as well as any other content you can download from Mixamo is royalty free

When the software reappeared as Pinocchio at Autodesk I was pleased to see that the FAQ represented that there were no restrictions on use of the characters so I felt free to create and use some more. It's going to cost me and my client a lot of time and labor to redo this if Autodesk does not honor the statement on your FAQ. Of course I have no problem stopping use of Pinocchio now but it hardly seems fair to retroactively restrict what was created in the past in good faith based on an error on the Autodesk website.
Some clarification of this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Old 11 November 2013   #40

Couldn't stop myself, sorry.

Old 11 November 2013   #41
loach are you serious with these huge bodies of text.

Old 11 November 2013   #42
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread