Fixing fractured displacement map.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2012   #1
Fixing fractured displacement map.

I have bought a model from Turbo Squid.
The model came with a normal map but no height map.
(There is also the high poly file of the model in ZBrush but I don't have ZBrush)
I have auto generated the normal map with a tool called CrazyBump. I am using this height map with the normal map in order to displace geometry in real time.
This is possible because I am using tesselation.
The issue is that in the "stichs" areas, there are gaps. This is because there are duplicate vertices in those areas with the same XYZ but different UV coordinates. The normal and height map apparently have different values in the stiches areas for the duplicate vertices.
I need a tool to fix the height\normal map by making the areas in the stichs have the same values.
The 3D software I own is Lightwave 9.6, so if you have a solution with lightwave or any other tool, please let me know.

Thank you,
Ofer.

Old 06 June 2012   #2
I have made my own tool to fix displacement map fracture. If anyone is interested I might create an exe you could use yourself.
Have a look at it:
http://pompidev.net/2012/06/20/defr...ment-map-fixer/

Old 07 July 2012   #3
I would use this.

Also, would this alow you to mix two tilable displacement maps together (with an Alpha) and blend the seam?

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Hi,

Although I made this tool a while ago, since you showed interest in it I will try and make an effort to make it usable at the weekend.

It might be possible to use it for blending tiles, but it is currently an offline process.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread