skydome with Vray

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
skydome with Vray

What is the best way to go about making a skydome for a project that is almost finished. Lighting is done, added vray fog and trees with forestpack pro. I have been trying to make it work with environment maps and whatnot, but nothing really seems to look nice. The camera pans 180' around so I need some sort of skydome, but I can't find any tutorials on how to make a skydome using vray materials. Any help would be appreciated

Old 02 February 2013   #2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryko
What is the best way to go about making a skydome for a project that is almost finished. Lighting is done, added vray fog and trees with forestpack pro. I have been trying to make it work with environment maps and whatnot, but nothing really seems to look nice. The camera pans 180' around so I need some sort of skydome, but I can't find any tutorials on how to make a skydome using vray materials. Any help would be appreciated

I don't know if this is a little late, but I have been using this method for years.
It might get the look you need without all the extra HDRI lighting calculation.

I draw a sphere in the top view over my whole site.I scale it up or down as needed later when I'm able to test my renders.
Convert the sphere to editable poly and delete the bottom half of the sphere.
Select all the remaining geometry and flip the nomals.
In the (right click) object properties menu I turn on backface culling so I can see through the sphere and turn off cast and recieve shadows.
I apply a standard mat with a CGskies sky in the diffuse slot. http://www.cgskies.com/
a Cyliner uvw map should immediately line up the map on the object as desired.
Now that I have a view of the sky that I should be able to see in the viewport, I rotate to align with my Vray Sun.
In the Vray sun I exclude the sphere in both Shadow casting and Illumination.
With the sphere selected, I right click and go into the Vray Properties menu.
Uncheck Generate GI, Receive GI, Generate Caustic and Receive Caustic.
Also turn the alpha contribution to -1 (minus one) so that I could still use the alpha for the general foreground objects.

Finally, with my sphere placed and aligned in the scene I create a Vray light material with the same sky image.
Check the compensate camera exposure box in the lightmaterial setting and should be ready to go.

Hopefully this helped you.
Let me know if you get stuck...It is possible that I may have forgotten one little detail.
I normally create this skydome setup to get reflections on objects in my scene.

Skydomes area very outdated way of going about making backgrounds, but it's fast.
These days you'd find most people using an HDRI workflow, but that could be very costly on rendertime.

Old 02 February 2013   #3
Great post asbassie, I've started using skydomes and this is very helpful.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Great

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread