xref good to use?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2012   #1
xref good to use?

I wanted to know if any one has had any issues using xref or if there are some alternatives to using it.

Old 12 December 2012   #2
I've x-ref'd scenes with no issues, as well as small objects [so long as you use bones to align them rather than moving the object itself directly].

What problems are you having, exactly?

Old 12 December 2012   #3
no problems as of yet jus wanted to know if there were any major issues or to avoid using it

Old 12 December 2012   #4
There are indeed major issues with xref objects. Xref scenes seem to be really solid, but also really restrictive.

I've documented (bitched and moaned about) my problems in the forums before, but basically throw out the idea that you and your coworkers/depts can work in parallel with xref objects. If you add objects, remove objects or change names, it'll throw an error in the scene referencing the asset. I've even had object's scale or position get jacked up from making edits to other, unrelated objects in the scene file. It's buggy as hell. I've been burned way too many times to trust them again.

Containers are another option. Their features are quite appealing, offering parallel workflow (ex. populate a scene with a referenced asset while someone else works on it). They have different permissions, which would be nice on larger, tiered-level productions. The only problem... buggy as hell. 80% of the time I try to open a container ('merge' into the scene), it crashes.

Referencing in max is a real problem for me. I come from years of Softimage where referencing is really solid. It took a few releases to work out some bugs, but it's generally functional and trustworthy now. As I understand it, a lot of studios have worked around these Max issues by creating their own proprietary referencing system. It feels like AD isn't developing references anymore. Nowadays, we only use references to offload scene data for finalized assets.

Old 12 December 2012   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread