UVW unwrap: Hide elements in viewport.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2012   #1
UVW unwrap: Hide elements in viewport.

3dsmax 2013

Just unwraped a model where I wanted everything on one sheet. A character with head,hands, suit, shirt, tie and shoes makes for elements that overlap and are difficult to see while making seams. It doesn't seem there is a way to hide elements in the viewport with the unwrap modifier applied: the uv gets reset if something is hidden.

Is there a way to hide items in the viewport without upsetting the uvw modifier?
If not how do you guys tackle this?

Cheers

Old 10 October 2012   #2
You could always collapse the unwrap mod, detach each element to an object, re-apply unwraps on everything(UVs already baked from previous mod) and reattach and arrange the UV shells when you're finished.

Old 10 October 2012   #3
Actually that would do it. I could just uv everything separately, attach and rearrange the islands at the end. Dang, some of this stuff stares you in the face.

Cheers musashidan.

Old 10 October 2012   #4
When I work with lots of intersecting elements in the same object, I usually simply move some parts up and some parts down by exactly the same amount (100 units for example). That way, I can work freely on all parts and later just move things back by typing-in +100 or -100 on each elements until it's exactly the way it was before.

I think it's faster that way.

Old 10 October 2012   #5
Thanks olivierth. Yeah that would work too.
Thanks guys.

Old 10 October 2012   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread