Review of the Maya Small Annoying Things Forum

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #31
Originally Posted by fleabay: One minor thing that really gets me...
Create new scene.
createNode mesh;

You get polySurface1 transform node and polySurfaceShape1 mesh node.
Why is it not named polySurface1Shape instead? 2 nodes have to be renamed because of this.

forgot to say that its not the only command that does this, lots of them do...
polyTorus; creates pTorus1 and pTorusShape1, oh god it makes no sense...

You can step up to the shape's parent and then do a rename. You only have to rename once then.

Last edited by wolverine : 10 October 2013 at 01:13 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #32
DeadlyNightShade brought up something that I've always been puzzled by when he mentioned his UV Editor script.

(For starters, this post probably shouldn't be included in "a small annoying thing about Maya...." thread, but could be better named a "confused why Autodesk doesn't...." thread.

Why doesn't Autodesk approach all the authors of all the free scripts from creativecrash and pay them a small royality to have it permanently integrated into the default! interface.

I mean you only have to browse the CCrash site and you'll see almost every single thing Maya has, there's an equivalent script that is a better more thorough replacement. Not to mention countless other offerings found on TD blogs everywhere.

On my screen now I'm staring at "Outliner Plus" from Tim Voelcker. Which has a great filtering option and is dockable. I never click on Window > Outliner any more.

What's cheaper for Autodesk? Paying employee wages to script the stuff or buying a script from somebody who has already tested the hell out of something and users who have already reported bug reports and perhaps fixed them already. Somebody who didn't have the stress of writing a tonne of other scripts to get out before the new release date therefore probably did a better more efficient job?

Last edited by egglybagelface : 10 October 2013 at 03:04 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #33
ADSK probably can't pay for every usefull script out there, it would be hard to finance. Besides Maya would be a very bloated app then.

Last edited by mustique : 10 October 2013 at 09:50 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #34
Why isn't there an option to expand a newly created primitive in the channel box? Default makes you scroll down, the click the name to expand its options, but when you click the name it tries to change it. its amazing that its still that inconvenient

Why can you move objects and sub objects with your middle mouse button?
if you dont hit alt right, it will send verts, edges, etc flying across the worldspace.

Why is virtually nothing conveniently named in the hotkey editor? is that like an inside joke? i get so tired of trying to find something, i just look up a script. Why are some of the modeling hotkeys on the right side of the keyboard? is maya made for left handed people? is F8 really that convenient?

why cant you have more than 4-5 letters for a shelf button's name?

Old 10 October 2013   #35
Originally Posted by LegatoBluesummers: Why isn't there an option to expand a newly created primitive in the channel box? Default makes you scroll down, the click the name to expand its options, but when you click the name it tries to change it. its amazing that its still that inconvenient

The channel box only shows keyable attribute and a primitives shape node doesn't have any. You can add keyable attributes to the shape node in channel control and see them list.

Along those lines though, you should be able to close an inputs attribute list in the channel box. Once that list is open, all those attributes become keyable, and theres no way to close it. (that I know of, other than exposing another inputs attributes)

Old 10 October 2013   #36
Originally Posted by mustique: ADSK probably can't pay for every usefull script out there, it would be hard to finance. Besides Maya would be a very bloated app then.

I'm not talking about the amount of money they paid for things like NEX. I talking about $50 to the author. And it wouldn't be bloated.

1. I'm talking about the best scripts out there. In addition, a lot of scripts out there fully replace what is already existing, therefore remove the existing from the Maya UI. Simple.

2. In my interactions with other Maya users who have been forced to migrate from, more often than not, Softimage and Blender, is they speak of a specific Softimage or Blender tool they used before and where to find the Maya equivelant. They mock "Ahh. Maya hasn't got it! The supposed world's greatest software used by almost all studios?!" Then I reply for almost every single instance "There's a tool like that..." then I send them a link to creativecrash or somewhere else." "Why isn't it part of the actual program? Blah blah blah...."

Over bloated? No. Each full release of Maya introduces only a handful of tools each time.

Anyway completely off topic.

Last edited by egglybagelface : 10 October 2013 at 02:52 AM.

Old 10 October 2013   #37
So long and good riddance to SubD's.

Now please fix the convert menu to read 'Convert to SubD' instead of 'Convert to Subdiv' (or get rid of all the fake BS SubD crap altogether)

Whoever came up with the idea to mix/mash SubD with proper subdivision surfaces needs to be taken out back and shot. Its like they went out of their way to cause confusion between the 2. Even now we still have 'Convert to Subdiv' and 'Subdiv proxy' that use 2 entirely different 'Subdiv' surface types. Let me say it again, SHOOT THEM! Yes, I'm condoning violence.

Old 11 November 2013   #38
MMB dragging a .mel from the visor to the shelf asks if it is a mel or python script (it ends in .MEL hello?), probably not just the visor.

MMB dragging a paint effects file from the visor to the shelf no longer puts the icon in the shelf, it also asks twice if it is a mel or python script and gives you 2 generic icons, 1 of which doesn't work.

2014 .mb files do not show in visor.

An open tool window with a numerical input will often grab focus for no reason and it sucks.

8 is still a hotkey for mindf*ck the noob with crap they'll never need, good job.

Nudging UV's still moves verts instead.

Attribute spreadsheet doesn't show the attribute decayRate, very disturbing if this isn't a bug. Shouldn't an attribute list in the spreadsheet by virtue of it existing?

mentalray

Old 11 November 2013   #39
My concerns:
  • Why Mental Ray proxies don't render ZDepth passes?
  • Why the Motion Vector pass render different (corrupted) when the primary renderer is set to "raytrace"?
Thank you.

"Don´t trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 11 November 2013   #40
Don't forget to create some SAT entries guys. Much more effective than just listing your annoyances here.

Old 11 November 2013   #41
Done, and submitted

Quote: Don't forget to create some SAT entries guys

"Don´t trust on affemeral things, only love will last..."

Visit my BLOG: 3djoie.blogspot.com

Old 11 November 2013   #42
How about more concise crash reporting instead of...
'Fatal Error. Attempting to save in...
C:\.........'

Last edited by fleabay : 11 November 2013 at 03:19 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #43
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread