Meet The Artist: Scott Robertson

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2005   #91
I've been doing the whole CG thing now for about two years now while attending a degree course (which I don't think is very good but I'll stick it out just to get that piece of paper). My problem is that I find I keep on going from one area to another (2D to 3D...modelling to some animation...and even programming.)
I would really like to focus on one area and become as much of an expert at is as I can because I'm aware that alot of places aren't looking to employ a jack of all trades kind of guy.

So basically my question is: When you were starting to learn over the first few years did you find it hard to focus on one area like me or were you always very focused on the 2D design end of things?

ScoRo When I returned from teaching at Art Center Europe in 96 I was doing a lot of freelance ID work and I was doing 2D and 3D work. I reached a point where there were so many options of software programs to pursue learning that I felt myself being spread to thinly and not being able to produce a high level of quality with any one skill so I decided to focus on purely 2D work and give up all of the 3D pursuits. The best guys at any given skill usually only do that skill and if you want to be able to compete with them then you usually have to follow suit just to have enough time committed to the craft so you can reach your fullest potential.

Old 04 April 2005   #92
My question is that I'm a self-employed graphic designer and I'm creating more and more 3D models for animation or rapid prototyping for either other studios/companies (sub-contract), or illustrations for my own clients (directly). Graphic design is becoming a very small part of my business (currently about 20-30%). I'm wondering if I should look at staying in business for myself, or should I look at jumping into the TV/ Film industry? I would like to jump into either industry, but it comes down to finances. Currently I make only $35-40K CDN/ year but is it worth it?

ScoRo Im not sure I can help you much with this one. The only thing I know is if you can try and do what you love, the job wont seem like work. With all of the jobs I taken due to the fact that they were well paying ones the fun of the money wore off long before the job was complete.

Old 04 April 2005   #93
Hi Scott, I was wondering if you could answer my question from page #4 if you've gotten around to it? You missed me!! Thanks

Old 04 April 2005   #94
Recommended Books

Hi Scott. I've been following your work for a while. I read on your site that the book “Basic Perspective Drawing” by John Montague is pretty good. I was wondering if you had any other recomendations for books that you found helpful in that past in regards to developing perspective drawing skills.

Thanks

Old 04 April 2005   #95
Just wanted to say before the thread is closed... Thanks to Scott Robertson for taking the time to answer so many questions and good luck with the books.

Old 04 April 2005   #96
Thumbs up Over and out

A big thank you to Scott Robertson for taking the time to answer questions and critique work! Sorry if anyone had their questions missed, but we do have to close this Q&A session now. Thanks all for participating!

Best,

Leonard

Thread Closed share thread