CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-24-2013, 05:09 AM   #166
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Perhaps someone knows whether this issue is resolved in Windows 8/8.1? In Windows 7 individual windows' positions and sizes are not saved, thus resulting in having to resize and position windows ALL THE TIME. This is especially nerve-wrecking and frustrating when the user sets "Open each folder in its own window" (found in the Folder Options).

It's also an extreme waste of time when I am forced to re-position and re-size every window again and again and again.

I am still on Windows 7, and I finally resolved this a while back with DeskSoft WindowManager, which keeps a database of all the Explorer and application windows, but I am just wondering wether this BUG (Yes, I call this a bug) has finally been squashed in the newest versions?

ps I also advise any Windows user to install Winsplit Revolution for ultra-fast windows management - open source and free!

Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 AM   #167
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen
Perhaps someone knows whether this issue is resolved in Windows 8/8.1? In Windows 7 individual windows' positions and sizes are not saved, thus resulting in having to resize and position windows ALL THE TIME. This is especially nerve-wrecking and frustrating when the user sets "Open each folder in its own window" (found in the Folder Options).

Yea win 8 remembers position and size of windows.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 AM   #168
Tuxon86
PRO
portfolio
Alain Ménard
Beauharnois, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvanderwegen

It's also an extreme waste of time when I am forced to re-position and re-size every window again and again and again.

I am still on Windows 7, and I finally resolved this a while back with DeskSoft WindowManager, which keeps a database of all the Explorer and application windows, but I am just wondering wether this BUG (Yes, I call this a bug) has finally been squashed in the newest versions?

ps I also advise any Windows user to install Winsplit Revolution for ultra-fast windows management - open source and free!

Sometime the fault lie with the application. Some application have hardcoded default windows size and position.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #169
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

*sigh*

With the new HP provided, Intel SATA RAID drivers, I had it back and running for the past 3 days. It was all going great. Not a single BSOD... until 2 minutes before the end of that 3rd day. BANG! Yet another stupid BSOD. At least this one had the decency to leave a minidump. The gist of it was pretty much this:

- Bug Check Code 0x3b (SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION)
- BlueScreenView >> filename: ntoskrnl.exe

The MSDN translation of this all?

"The SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION bug check has a value of 0x0000003B. This indicates that an exception happened while executing a routine that transitions from non-privileged code to privileged code.
This error has been linked to excessive paged pool usage and may occur due to user-mode graphics drivers crossing over and passing bad data to the kernel code."

So, it looks like that the latest suspect is the NVIDIA driver. Unfortunately, for me, the last known working driver set is the 320.49. There are more than a few of complaints in the Geforce.com forum's threads about driver stability for versions newer than that.

Seeing as how only drivers newer than 320.49 actually have Windows 8.1 support, that pretty much leaves me unable to actually stay using 8.1 for the time being. I can't expect to get any work done on a system that won't stay BSOD-free for more than a few days at a time. It's a shame too.

Ah, well. 8.1 wouldn't be the first MS update I've had to skip because of these sorts of problems. (WinME and pre-SE versions of Win98 spring to mind.)

I'll leave y'all with this. Even if you're 100% happy with your current Win7 setup, move to Win 8.0. It's a great OS and has a lot to love. If you're 100% happy with Windows 8.0, you might be better off staying where you are. Win 8.1 adds in a few new things, but not nearly to justify the potential pains. Some people have had AWESOME experiences. Others, like me, have not.

Enough of my 8.1 pity party. Time to get back to making cool CG thingamadoodlebobs.

Old 11-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #170
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I am on the latest nvidia gfx drivers and every app works fine and I never had any crash OS or otherwise in 8.1.

What app are you using that requires the 320.xx drivers?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #171
hvanderwegen
Expert

Herbert van der wegen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuxon86
Sometime the fault lie with the application. Some application have hardcoded default windows size and position.

Of course - however, Windows 7 just does not save any window's position and size - only the last Explorer window's setting for position and size is remembered. When you close that window, the next one you open will open like that. Extremely annoying and counter productive. Must be one of those "Year Zero" Windows features to keep the human race from advancing too fast ;-)

And then there's the horrid dementia in regards to the window's view settings: it may change at random, with no logic behind it (any Windows version, I believe).

I solved all issues with WindowManager and WinSplit Revolution, which save me oodles of frustration and time. Windows popup where I last left them, and at the size I want them. Both tools are very configurable, and I could not imagine work on a Windows machine without them.

Last edited by hvanderwegen : 11-25-2013 at 07:45 AM.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:55 PM   #172
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
I am on the latest nvidia gfx drivers and every app works fine and I never had any crash OS or otherwise in 8.1.

That "require" the 320.xx? None. However, 320.49 is the most recent one that is stable for me, even on Win8. The newer ones, especially the 33x series, produce tearing, flickering, and some other vsync problems.

The PC is only 11 months old and none of the hardware has gone sour. Memtest went fine. HDD is fine. All of the latest WHQL drivers. No weird OS tweaks. No oddly disabled services. Nothing unusual at startup. It's a 100% OS clean install. Using all of the defaults, including the firewall.

I can literally leave my desk and have the PC doing absolutely nothing and 8.1 might just BSOD on me in the 3 minutes I stepped away.

I had previously tried them without the GeForce Experience stuff, but that never cleared up the problem. At least for the glitchy stuff, it's definitely the drivers. They work better on some hardware than others.

My card is a GeForce GT 630 (OEM) w/2GB of RAM. Not the fastest or newest card out there, but still (supposedly) supported under these drivers. NVIDIA drivers have been a bit twitchy lately. I used to say how their drivers were so much more stable than ATI's but they're not that much better anymore.

Like I said, the NVIDIA forums seem to be littered with posts from people who've had similar problems. In fact, some people have even reported BSODs so bad, because of the 33x drivers, that their PCs wouldn't even boot until they removed them in safe mode first.

For me, the BSOD cause really isn't clear. All I can gather, from the minidump, is that the memory pool is being polluted. According to MS' own KB, the likely culprit is a video driver.

Honestly? With the holiday coming, it's a really slow week. I could try picking at the scab for a few more days. However, for now, I'm just done futzing around with 8.1. I've got better things to do. The cost to benefit ratio of using 8.1 doesn't work out for me. Everything already works perfectly on 8.0. No sense in getting my hair (more) gray.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #173
doghat
Expert
portfolio
Dan Ritchie
Animator
USA

Have you checked that your fans are working?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #174
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by doghat
Have you checked that your fans are working?

Oh, yeah. Everything's running cool. No clogs to the PSU fan, GPU/CPU fans, or the vents. It's a software issue. Everything on the hardware side checks out and Win 8.0 runs perfectly. Not a single issue. Prior to 8.1, the last time I experienced a BSOD was 13 years ago when WinME came out. Not even the notorious Vista ever gave me a lick of trouble.

My BSOD issues with 8.1 seem minor to some of the horror stories I've read this past month. I'm just lucky that my machine can be easily rolled back to 8.0. Some people have had corrupted boots.

I'm not giving this whole issue an ounce more thought now. I'm just going to enjoy my turkey this week and get fat on pie.

Old 11-26-2013, 05:36 PM   #175
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory

I believe the Tegra and DirectCompute development kits require updated versions... I believe 331 or higher.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #176
paintbox
Waiting for pixels to dry

portfolio
PT PT
Artist / Illustrator
Intergalactic Freelancer
Netherlands

Win 8.1 has been as stable as 8.0, which is great. I run it on an older desktop, and I like that this Windows remains snappy, even after a while of use. For an older desktop thats pretty much all I could ask for.

Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #177
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread