De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk VI fighter-bomber

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
De Havilland Mosquito FB Mk VI fighter-bomber

Been awhile since I started a WIP thread here... here goes! It's the De Havilland Mosquito, the famous "wooden wonder" of the Royal Air Force. I'm doing the FB Mk VI fighter-bomber model, which was the most produced variant and used by about two dozen air services world-wide.

10 February:

6 March:

14 March:

Just about ready for the paint shop!

Old 03 March 2013   #2
Thumbs up

Stunning modelling work and lovely renders. Hard to fault anything. Attention to detail as always. Am looking forward to seeing where you go with the paint job.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
indeed, the modelling so far (froma quick glance) looks pretty solid, but i'm loving the renders. how have you acheived the bloom effect? is that post?

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Gorgeous work. How are you achieving the soft metallic surface (soft reflection) texture without a grainy reflection? I use 3DS Max 2010 and typically use mental ray... I've never been able to quite get that buffed-metal texture.

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thanks very much for your replies!

The bloom is a very old trick... duplicate layer, gaussian blur, screen layer blend mode (and a bit of tweaking). Still does the trick

As for the metal effect, in this case I used VRay but MR is just as effective. Simple gray material with low glossiness (for very blurred reflections) and fresnel reflection with very high IOR (25 in this case), so you have a lot of frontal reflection but still some falloff effect. A soft bump adds some randomness to the skin. All procedural (before I get to proper textures) but good for testing.

Grain... simply up the samples and/or render slightly higher than needed. Also I use a gamma 2.2 setup, which improves grain dramatically in dark areas (compared to default gamma 1.0 calculations, which are then brightened up for 2.2 output producing a lot of grain).

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Many thanks for sharing your methods, it is greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to seeing this completed, some of the finest aviation modeling I've ever seen. I could stand to improve my own aviation detailing skills in 3DS so I'll be watching with bated breath :P

Old 03 March 2013   #7
nice to see some new stuff from you .. it's have been a while.. and i did miss you :-)

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Thanks Chris! CGTalk used to be a great showcase for me and got me some clients in the past, but this seems no longer the case unfortunately.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Progress on the camouflage:

Old 03 March 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread