Breathe

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2012   #1
Breathe

This was my final short film that I animated at Vancouver Film School. I was hoping I could get some constructive criticism for this so that I may improve it. I hope you guys enjoy it.

Breathe by Shibu Varghese Mathew

Old 11 November 2012   #2
Nice idea and execution, park-ore films/ exercises are always a great way to stretch your animation boundaries. A quick critique about your modeling and comp, there were a ton of shadow flickering which I can understand that hardship. Where you dont know about any kind of flickering until your done rendering! Your depth of field was a little off and it bugged me. It looked like you had 2 background layers, where your layer on top was blurred and you could still see the hard edge of the bottom background layer. Next time you work with Depth of Field, look up "FL Depth of Field" there is no need of duplicating any layers .

And a critique on your character animation: The overall feel is great but when he runs you need to put more movement in his Center of Mass. When hes running yes his legs are moving up and down but his actually body (im looking at his pelvis) isn't moving up and down at all. Keep working on that and it would be amazing!

Old 11 November 2012   #3
Thanks dude...and you are right... I faced a lot o problems comping since I wasnt really trained for it. On top of that i had weird reflection issues with the windows in the background and I had run out of time so I used the depth of field to keep it hidden since in the end I am just advertising myself to be an animator. I did have two depth of field layers since the max distance was too much... if i put a high value so that luminence goes all the way to the back then anything in the front of hte camera wud be pure white...no information... I cudnt think of any other way to work around that... I will look up FL Depth of Field and see if it helps Thanks!

I see what you are saying about the animation and I will work on that int he coming days

Again... thanks a lot for the critique!!!

Last edited by thevilneo : 11 November 2012 at 11:53 PM.

Old 11 November 2012   #4
That's alright as a character animator you should focus you time on the animation just like you did. I was in the same boat as you, I went to school for character animation and I didn't care much about chomping, then I got a job in motion graphics and learned I should mix the both to make great work. If you look at the monthly winners of the 11 second club they usually have very nice renders on top of amazing animation, which I can totally see in you

I know the exact problem you had with your luma depth Matte. The problem with layering 2 blurry layors causes it to look mudy/ misty not blury. You could have tried to mask the white blown out dept pass or re rendered the depth pass, remember all you want is that pass so you can remove all textures and lighting or in FL depth there is an actual picker where you can pick where in the gradient you want it to be in focus.

Defiantly keep up the great animation work!

Old 11 November 2012   #5
Like the idea of your short film,but have no advice for you.
Cheers!

Old 11 November 2012   #6
nice work

Really cool idea reminds me alot of mirrors edge with the render style. you have some really good animation poses and smooth animation, just be careful of putting in too many run/walk cycles cause they are the give-away bits in animation but good work hope to see more

Old 11 November 2012   #7
Yeahhh i do need to learn more about comping... Makes me regret not taking it as a minor at school!!! :( You're right about great work being a mix of animation and comping. Thanks for the compliments regarding the animation. That means a lot.

I was trying to look up FL depth but couldn't find anything specific... just general topics on the matter. Could you give me a link?

And to duany and tetherax, thanks for the compliments guys. I didn't really understand what you meant by putting too many run/walk cycles though, sorry. Could you explain that a bit more?

Old 11 November 2012   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread