Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Steve Newport

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2004
Grand Space Opera 2D Entry: Steve Newport

Steve Newport has entered the Grand Space Opera 2D.

Challenge Page

Latest Update: Coloring WIP: Cloud Detailing

The only further things I'll be adding aside from critiques are some atmospheric steams/mists floating around and off the clouds. I will also be experimenting with very small floating clouds in the center of the world in which rays will be blocked by and hopefully achieve a cool atmosphere.
Boy, times running out and I've still got a lot of work to do with the figures, I might have to reconsider my approach to them.

To all that have commented, thank you sooo much, I just havn't had time to reply or address anything yet! thanks again and take care

11 November 2004
I've been working on this since the very first announcement of the challenge. I've refrained from posting so as to be able to develop my concept with a fresh mind with the infinite inspirations of thought and without the boundaries of influence. I just needed to have a basic idea of where I was going and and plot the basics of my 'universe' withouth being influenced.

However, now that my mini-sketchbook is partially filled up with writings and 5 second sketches, I have the very basics of my world and story and am ready to participate, gain the knowledge of the hundreds frequenting this forum, and humbly help others.

Most of the up and coming concept sketches will be concepts of the world and everything in it rather than concepts of the actual composition of the final piece. The world must come into existance before I can capture the true essence of it.

I look forward to this very much. It is an excuse to do some work for myself, apart from school and work! Story and concepts in next post

11 November 2004
Genesis Angelus

Alright, I'll simply just copy the kind of teaser I wrote in my sketchbook as a concept for this reality that I'm creating.

"They were Love's first creation. Endowed with the original riches of love and spirituality, they had a passion to obtain it's fullest potential, absent of any evil to hinder their growth. Their lives consisted of only growth, earning a place with God after thousands of years of life spent entirely striving to obtain perfection. Before the beginning, before the heavens and the earth, before time there were God's first love, the angels.

Among this generation of angels there was one, one with the desire to capture the heart of his true love. How can one give a greater love than that of the greatest love ever given... by their creator. Would his expression of his love be a mere distraction to the ultimate purpose of their existance. How can he capture a heart that is already being fulfilled. Can conflict exist without the presence of evil?"

Very ruff idea, but basically, this is the beginning of the first race... before us. The ultimate questions of love and conflict still remain but without the presence of evil.

The Given World, in which most of the conceptualization will take place, consists of a very small planet with a very large atmosphere of clouds and air. The entire universe revolves around this very small planet. It is uninhabitable because of it's size, but it is still referred to as Home. There are many planets revolving around this in an unnaturally close proximity. These planets are where they technically live and explore, but they do not consider it there home, more as destinations of pilgrimages of sort. They jump from planet to planet in these pilgrimages. Gaining speed while in the atmosphere of any given planet and diving into the emptiness of space, with a gasp of breath and meditation, the journey themselves ends up being an act of spiritual focus remaining weightlessly soaring through space for up to an hour.

Each planet has it's own familiar terrain, each unique for given purposes of growth, exploration, and meditation. I will have concept sketches for parts of these planets, but the final piece will revolve around the home 'given planet' as this is the most personally important location for the race of angels.

I hope I've explained this at least somewhet coherently! Let me know if you have any questions or critiques at ANY time about anything

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Genesis Angelus: The Given World

**Please excuse the repeat post**

Last edited by SteveNewport : 11 November 2004 at 10:48 PM. Reason: repeat post

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Given Planet

Here is a sliced view to illustrate, roughly, the center of the universe, the given planet

The planet is very small in the center, everything revolves around it. It is also not very much to scale

The challenges I am expecting at this point are:
  • Gaining a knowledge of how light might react with this spacious, clouded, humid atmosphere
  • given the planet's extremely small size, visualizing what it might look like to see the opposite side of the world's high-noon sun
  • figuring out how much light will actually make it to the core of this world given the amount of clouds revolving around it. Cloud density, stars light strength
  • wind dynamics in a world with no solid bodies of water
  • cloud shapes, having a much smaller source of gravity with greater strength than that of our own earth
  • Making the anatomy of the angels to seem capable that body could power our own weightlessness
  • Given a night scene (ie, when the worlds strongest source of light is blocked by another planet) how the more distant and dimmer stars will react in the environment
  • coming up with the most dynamic, realistic, and beautiful color scheme this planet is capable of producing

I have decided that I will try and take visuals from clouds and nebulas while creating a common cloud type and color scheme of the world. I've already compiled about 30 hi rez nebula images that I will study and I have yet to do so for clouds. As dynamic clouds rarely frequent chicago, I'll have to rely on found images to study, and nebulas... well, yea! I will only begin work on the final image once I have came up with how I want my clouds to look with what light and colors. So I will simply, for a while, be posting sketches of clouds and nebulas as that will be the biggest part of my process.

Also, I will begin to develop the anatomy for the angels, which won't be the focus of the final composition, but will be a part, and a part I want perfected nonetheless.

Last edited by SteveNewport : 11 November 2004 at 12:43 AM.

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Genesis Angelus: The Given World

They were Love's first creation. Endowed with the original riches of love and spirituality, they had a passion to obtain it's fullest potential, absent of any evil to hinder their growth. Their lives consisted of only growth, earning a place with God after thousands of years of life spent entirely striving to obtain perfection. Before the beginning, before the heavens and the earth, before time there were God's first love, the angels.

Among this generation of angels there was one, one with the desire to capture the heart of his true love. How can one give a greater love than that of the greatest love ever given... by their creator. Would his expression of his love be a mere distraction to the ultimate purpose of their existance. How can he capture a heart that is already being fulfilled. Can conflict exist without the presence of evil?

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Composition

here's a very rough potential composition sketch

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Female Angel Figure Sketch

I've decided to make the arms and wings one-in-the-same instead of making the wings a seperate appendage connected to their backs. Whenever I see an angel visualized with wings on their backs, I'm simply not convinced. The only angel I've seen that struck me as something that could actually exist is the infamous 'Nike of Samothrace'..... but that's because her arms fell off sometime in her history and therefor makes it seem a little more real. You never see an animal with wings and four limbs! So the wings will simply be growing out of their arms to the backs of their shoulder blades partially connected with the tendons and muscles that work with the arm itself, and partially controled by seperate tendons and muscles. The difficulty in this is to make it convincing that this body could actually hold itself in the air. If it were animated the take-off's would have to be very dynamic and powerful to get the initial weight off the ground and once in the air they could soar more like the larger birds of our world.

11 November 2004
Hi Steve, you've had a busy couple of hours posting this up! I can see that you're going to put a lot of thought and time into this challenge so I'm sure you'll end up with something that will surprise you with how good it is. I found these challenges really help in that they focus the mind and force one to develop a more complete process and to really polish a piece until it shines.

I do have a few crits though, and I mean them to be constructive. First, while your idea would make a truly compellling image, it doesn't, to me, give a 'grand space opera' feel. Ask yourself if there are ways of developing this idea toward something that fits the challenge more. There is plenty of scope to apply yourself to learning what you've set out to do and 'fit the bill' a bit better.

Second crit, and I admit that this is purely personal, is that the image of angels in SF art tends to rub me up the wrong way. It's just a theme which, in my opinion, is a bit overdone. I'll be the first to admit being impressed by the depth of thought you've put into this though. I'm going to enjoy seeing where you take this. Good luck!

Steampunk - my entry

11 November 2004
Steve ,
I am looking forward to seeing your work come together , I like the idea of angels being in the scene , don't know how this is going to work though.
Mike

My GSO entry
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.ph...86&page=1&pp=15

11 November 2004
speaky, your comments are truly taken to heart and I'll take all the crits I can get, I thrive on it.

First comment, I agree. I've been looking it over, and now that I've started to develop my world, I'm finding it hard to display a true magnifcence through the imagery. Finding out what aspect to focus on that will draw the world together in one single image along with the dynamics of it's existance. That's partially why I have no set composition in mind yet. But I would very much like further critiques and assistance while it develops to get something out of it. I know there's a potential there... there is with everything... it's just up to the artist, and is a reflection of the artist, to find it.... :-/

Second comment. I don't take offense at all and I know exactly what you mean. Anytime I see a winged figure be it a demon, fairy, angel... whatever, it always draws the same response from me that is similar to yours. And that's been something I've been insecurely battling with myself while developing the concept. They're so cliche and overdone, I guess I just have made it a personal battle to bring out a different response from it.... lol, I've never drawn an angel in my life. I dunno, I'm not putting myself in the best position to get anywhere, but yea. that's one of the reasons I want to put a lot of thought into the anatomy of this race. I don't want the immediate response to read angels, as that draws a bad response from me even, but simply flying creatures that, with more reading, will be discovered to be what we now call angels. I don't want them to be gaurdians, or glowing beings, or flying with doves I want them to be very real, as if they could actually exist... not simply something that appears in the sky with the masses declaring they bring us great tidings of joy

I have no clue how I'm even going to compare with the huge intergalactic battles, explosions, and completely different races... but I'd like to see what I can get out of this. If my concepts are coming out clearly, I'll take any advice on how I could make it work given what I have right now. But definitely tell me the truth and give your personal opinions too, I'll appreciate them all. I'll start working on the surrounding planets too, coming up with simple sketches to illustrate the landscapes of each. I'm taking a plane back to chicago (I'm in ohio right now) monday morning and I'll be bringing my laptop & wacom with me so hopefully, if the skies are nice, I'll be able to get some real sketching done on the hour flight. Again, tear me apart..

i hope this doesn't turn out boring! I want it to be very beautiful, surreal yet real and fantastic. Guess we'll see

thanks for the comments mmoir!

11 November 2004
looks like a great start man

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Study Sketch: Sky

A simple sketch done on a plane from Chicago to Ohio, only had 20 minutes to do it, maybe 5 minutes of that were of this view. Probably the first and last chance I'll have to study clouds in real time.

11 November 2004
Hello Steve!!!Thx a lot for your constructive responses on my thread!!!
This is really inspiring.
In the first place sorry for my english,...quit broken,but i try so i willa arrive

Hey,this sounds like something really great!!
Indeed I'm quit curious how you gonna bring in the Space part of the opera in this story,but by seing how deep you can go I'm sure you'll find that out!!!
Maybe(and that's just an suggestion,I t could be nice to find some other "Lovecreatures hanging around that planet.Some kind of guardians or welcomers.
With beautiful magical colors on them.
Childs of these angels or something like that.
Maybe this planet doesn't have to be rounded and maybe more ovale.
Or two tiny planets with an waterfall between both of them.
Anyway a lot of possibilitys ofcourse,and like I said these are just some sugeestions.

But this gotta be great to work our also,I'm sure.
Loads of fun!!!
I'm looking forward to see the evolution on this one!
Later Steve

11 November 2004
Concept Sketch: Composition Concept Sketch

Alright, I've been developing the story a lot. It requires for me to go thousands, if not millions of years into the timeline of this race.
What has happened: The Given Planet, as said before, has been looked upon as the Home, where everything originated from and everything revolves around. They call it their home even though they do not 'live' there. They sleep, meditate, eat and explore the surrounding planets, but the migrations to the given planet are considered the ultimate spiritual experience of solitude and meditation. The flight through space, the entering into the atmosphere, and any number of orbits around the planet inside the atmosphere is a practice regularly carried out by the race for gaining wisdom and the understanding of both the outside and inner world of their existance. The given planet is considered sacred and rigorous efforts are taken to keep it perfect as a sign of respect to their Lord.
Hundreds of thousands of years after their creation, perspectives warp and evolve about certain issues regarding the Given planet. The race becomes seperated into two views: One side believing their 'Home' should be a place that can be grown and populated, the other holds to the ancient beliefs of their ancestors, keeping the planet and it's atmosphere a place souly for growth and meditation. Slowly, one orbiting planet becomes the home for those with the new mindset, then two, and soon, three out of the 5 revolving planets become ground for the modern mind.
The scene I'm depicting here is when the first stake is about to break the surface of the given planet, an effort secretly planned by those residing on the 3 Planets. Those of the apposing beliefs get word of it and immediately the entire other 2 planets, at once, break through space, into the atmosphere of the Given Planet with the strongest of passions to keep their Home from being 'destroyed.' This is a battle of passion on both sides. No technology of any kind; simply tears, sweat and passion.
The result will come in later sketches for my own personal help, but I believe this is the composition I will be working on as my knowledge of clouds and nebulas grows.

Thread Closed share thread