HumanIK vs RapidRig vs AdvancedSkeleton

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

06 June 2017
HumanIK vs RapidRig vs AdvancedSkeleton

Hello All,

I was wondering if anyone out there had any thoughts on the relative merits (or otherwise) of the following rigging solutions for Maya:-

HumanIK
RapidRigBasic
Advanced Skeleton

How do these stack up it terms of:-

ease of use?
flexibility?
features?
robustness?

I am considering these with a view for my students using them to rig their characters (as opposed to starting from first principles since the course I teach on is not a dedicated 3D/CG course), so cost is a consideration also - I am assuming these are all free for academic/non-commercial (please correct me if I am wrong).

Many thanks!

06 June 2017
Hi,

I would order it like:
Advanced Skeleton
RapidRigBasic
HumanIK

Regards,

06 June 2017
I have experienced productions with*Advanced Skeleton and*HumanIK.*

Out of those two I would recommend*Advanced Skeleton. I uses it for productions, but I am also seeing it more and more when asset are provided for certain projects from other studios, so it's merit is that it is used in the industry.*

Advanced Skeleton is very customisable. It takes a while to get your head around all of the features, it does have some quirks and it is not always*a one stop shop for all your needs. I usually add things or modify parts of the rig when needed, and I don't use the facial system.*

Advanced Skeleton Tip- don't scale the the Main control guide. It can cause an error when building the rig, best to just position the joints without scaling that controller.

reply share thread