Lion Mane Rigging Help!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

02 February 2008
Lion Mane Rigging Help!

Hi! I'm having trouble with the mane deforming. First I attempted to add it to the rig so it would deform with the neck moving but it still intersects with the leg and some of it moves incorrectly. Second way I tried was just trying to parent it.

Any Advice?

Mandy

02 February 2008
In such a stylized lion, what kind of deformations you're exactly looking for? It would really help if you first establish how it's supposed to be deformed in relation to its whole body. Only then you can assess all the options (simple parenting, smooth bind, clusters, etc.). It would help if you share this information.

Cheers

02 February 2008
deformation

The only way I need it to deform is to flow with the body as the head turns and ect. It does not need to bounce or anything as the character moves. I just don't want intersections to occur. I posted the lion file on my website:

http://www.wimbleberryfeatherstone.com/facerigging4.mb

If you try bending his neck it is a little ugly.

Mandy

02 February 2008
It's also not the best angle to reveal exactly the relation between the mane and the body. Maybe another one from the side would help.

Whatever you do, a massive Polygon mane like that is going to restrict the movement of the head unless it gets into nasty deformation territory.
Nasty deformations can often be overcome by simply choosing camera angles that hide them on shots, for example, which require the head to trun sharply to the side.

If the leg intersects with the mane when it moves forward, you have a few choices. either make the mane smaller. Make the neck longer or the legs further back, or make the mane react and be pushed away from the leg instead of intersecting.
This could be done by bones, or morphs or whatever you wish and either be driven manually, or automatically base on either the rotation of the leg bone (not so good as it assumes the mane is always in the same place (which it wont be if the head is rotated))
Or, better, by linking the bone or morph etc to an expression recording the distance between the knee and the affected area of the mane, telling it to move out the way as it draws close. OR, use a (in XSI but there is probably an equivalent in Maya) bounding volume constraint to make the leg literally push the mane out of the way, (via a deformer null inside it)

02 February 2008
yah

yah i would prefer using a defomer that automatically pushes the mane away when it hits hte leg, I just don't know what to use in Maya. Any suggestions? I'm not exactly the best rigger ever.

02 February 2008
OK, you'll have to wait until a Maya rigger reads this and can reveal what the equivavlent constraint is, or another method of pushing a deformer out of the way with the leg.
In XSI a bounding volume constraint will keep an item inside (or outside) some implicit object such as a sphere or cube etc.
You would parent this item to the thigh bone, and when it 'hit' a null (or locator in Maya) object in the mane then it would push it. (this assumes that you can use Locators as deformers in Maya. maybe you would have to use a bone or Joint or whatever)

Why not go through the constraints help and read up about them and test them all. You'll probably figure it out if you do that and it will be enormously valuable to you in the future to have that Knowlege.

02 February 2008
Ok I just had a quick look at the rig you posted. I don't know of any bounding volume constraint that exists in Maya as such. There are definitely ways to achieve this but no default constraint. Such a constraint exists for stuff like dynamic curves/hair etc. but not any locator or a null object.

However, I personally do not see the ability of the foot to push the mane aside as very interesting somehow. I mean the mane hasn't been designed in a way so as to look too graceful if it's suddenly pushed somewhere or deformed by a bending leg. if it was multiple meshes modelled to look like big hair clumps, hanging down, it would've been easier to push any two apart a bit to let the leg go past it but right now, its a huge mesh which imo, won't look that good. Also, this mane mesh is intersecting with the whole of the body on the neck already so if you're ok with that, then I think anything beyond the current deformation would be too much of an effort for something that's just OK from other aspects.

Let me know if you still want me to put up a deformation in the way you guys have been discussing.

Cheers

02 February 2008
create a 'collar' of bones (er joints I guess) around the neck and weight the mane to this...
you'll then be able to set up some reasonable driven animation based off the movement of the head/neck/spine bones and from the legs...but will require animator help on a per shot basis...

I'd stay away from a defomer that automatically pushes the mane away when it hits the leg...it might work a little but you'll probably not really get the deformation you're looking for...

02 February 2008
Quote: I'd stay away from a defomer that automatically pushes the mane away when it hits the leg...it might work a little but you'll probably not really get the deformation you're looking for...

That all depends on how you set it up .
If I set it up it'd work a treat

02 February 2008
I'm not saying it wouldn't work...
it's the old conflict between auto-animation and controlable animation....depending on what you're doing 'automatic' animation is just a waste of time to set up...

02 February 2008
Maya has a sculpt deformer, which I haven't messed with too much, but maybe that would be useful in pushing the mane away from the leg. I don't have the time to test it out at the moment, but in the options it looks like you can use a secondary object for the deformation. Could be worth checking it out.

02 February 2008
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread