Moving/morphing between objects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

10 October 2013
Moving/morphing between objects

Hey guys,

I'm in need of some assistance! - Ive been searching around for the answer to this, and I know Ive seen it somewhere, or just sense it shouldnt be difficult, I just cant fathom it, or which method to use!

1) I need to make the random arrangement of rectangular polys in the foreground, zoom backwards, and as doing so, forming into the plane or cloner of square polygons.

Since I suspect this is best done with MoGraph, the front cluster is in side a cloner - each is an individual plane, and so the cloner count is set to 1.

2) Id like the planes to fall back from camera towards the square plane/clones in a staggered manner, so that the rear fall first and the rest fall in sequence after (using plane effector!?)

3) They morph shapes from rectangles to the even squares you see on the rear plane as they fall backwards - effectively reversing an explosion! - however, this pattern of random rectangles is set, and needs to stay as is, or I would have used some kind of explosion deformer!

4) The front planes all have individual images/textures attached - the rear plane is one entire logo, and so I also need to morph the texture!

I know I should know this, but my head is mush today !:]

Adam

12 core Mac Pro / 2x Mac Pro 8-core ATI5770 / ATI4870
MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2013
That's going to be a tricky one, since you're starting from an existing array of objects. I think you can do it this way:

1. Take all of the planes and drop them into a cloner. Set the cloner to the same number as there are planes and uncheck "fix clones";

2. Create a Matrix object, set it to object mode, and reference the aforementioned cloner as the object. Set the mode to polygon center (assuming your planes are single polygons!).

Now you should have the matrix particles centered on your planes;

3. Duplicate the first cloner but this time check the "fix clones" box and set it to object mode. Reference the aforementioned matrix object in the object box. You may need to play with the rotation values in the Matrix>transform tab to get the planes rotated correctly;

4. Create another matrix object set to grid array mode and set the parameters to match your desired final result (square grid);

5. Select the second cloner and then apply an Inheritance effector to it. Set the effector to Direct mode and check the "morph motion object" box. Reference the aforementioned matrix object (square grid) in the object link box;

6. Set the inheritance effector to use linear falloff, rotate it to the correct orientation, and animate its position to achieve the move/scale effect.

In terms of color I would place a material on the second cloner and flat map the logo so it fits the square grid. Then animate the material's alpha channel to fade it in as the planes assemble.

hth

10 October 2013
Thanks very much for your time Adam

Unfortunately - the Matrix objects particles don't appear on the planes for me :/

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2013
Curious. Works here, using R15: http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/planes_2_grid.c4d

10 October 2013
Adam

Thanks so much for the file - I was able to disect what you had done and apply it to my file, and it now works after a lot of jiggling!

Only thing I cant achieve the same is that the polys in yours morph from rectangles to perfect squares on the matrix - mine stay the same ratio! :/

Any ideas? - I obviously have the morph motion object field ticked.

Adam

Originally Posted by AdamT: Curious. Works here, using R15: http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/planes_2_grid.c4d

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2013
wouldn't it be much easier to reverse the process - go from a plane to a randomized cloud ?
maybe i am missing something important, but for that i do only need a shader and a random
effector to do the whole 'morph from rectangular cloud a square plane from the outside to the inside'.
Attached Files
File Type: zip morph_example.zip (60.7 KB, 10 views)

10 October 2013
Of course, yes - it would be soooo much easier!

BUT, the cloud is fixed in the position it needs to be at - I needed to get from that to the square plane/arrangement!

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2013
Originally Posted by kromekat: Adam

Thanks so much for the file - I was able to disect what you had done and apply it to my file, and it now works after a lot of jiggling!

Only thing I cant achieve the same is that the polys in yours morph from rectangles to perfect squares on the matrix - mine stay the same ratio! :/

Any ideas? - I obviously have the morph motion object field ticked.

Adam

Are you using R15? Because this setup doesn't seem to work in R14.

10 October 2013
Okay, I thought a bit about why my original file worked and unfortunately it's probably not going to work in your case. It worked because I created the array of scaled planes by using a cloner and a random effector set to randomize scale. Then I made the cloner editable. The resulting objects actually had their axes scaled -- like scaling with the object tool instead of the model tool. Accordingly, when I cloned the matrix objects onto the planes the matrix particles were scaled. That allowed the inheritance effector to scale the clones back to a square shape, which is how they started.

10 October 2013
Where there's a will there's a way.

So, determined to overcome the scale problem, the only way I could figure to easily scale all those planes to a fixed size was to use pose morph tags. First I created the destination matrix so that I would have a square polygon to use as a morph target. Then I multiselected all the planes and created morph tags for them, set to morph points.

With the morph tags still selected I twirled down the advanced section and dragged my square polygon into the target box. Then set all the tags to animate. Now you can multiselect the tags and animate all the shapes to the fixed square polygon shape.

Not one to leave well enough alone, however, I set all the tags to 0% and then duplicated the cloner. I selected all the morph tags in the second cloner and set them to 100%. Then I put both cloners inside another cloner set to blend mode.

Finally, I created a plane effector with "modify clone" set to 100% and I gave it the same position and falloff as the inheritance effector. Then I made it a child of the latter so that the clones would move and scale simultaneously.

A good puzzle. http://www.3danvil.com/tutorials/planes2grid_II.c4d

p.s.: yes, I do have too much time on my hands.

10 October 2013
Adam you are a star!

When I get back to my machine Monday - I'll check it out then!!

I know how it is though - I get obsessed trying to solve certain problems!

Adam

MacBookPro i7 2.66Ghz

10 October 2013
hey,

funny problem indeed, i thought i give it a try too. i did choose another way, as my
mograph skills are quite limited. it is a simple python effector which aligns the generators
particle matrices to the matrices of a list of input (target) objects. i solved the scaling
problem by introducing the particle shape as a parameter for the effector.

target shapes - drop the object holding your targets here
shape - drop the particle shape here (the object in the cloner)
loop indices - check if the targets should be looped if the generator has more particles
than you have passed targets.

happy rendering,
ferdinand
Attached Files
File Type: zip morph_example2.zip (77.7 KB, 18 views)

10 October 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread