IP Incubator Club Thread 2013: Monthly-009: -September 2013

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #76
Quote:
This might of interest to the group:

http://kotaku.com/famous-kickstarte...aste-1352054852

I hate stuff like this from the "well-to-dos" This fluff needs to stay off of kickstarter. It is not for those who made it but those who are trying to make it.

All these high profile projects from high profile people. Like the Blizzard one, and the Veronica Mars one, and the one with the Scrubs dude.

They not only get the support they need but they already have the money and still get front page as if they needed it.

And then guy screws up and spends 500,000 on nothing. What the heck did he spend it on?

Old 09 September 2013   #77
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoOrtiz
This might of interest to the group:

http://kotaku.com/famous-kickstarte...aste-1352054852

*Watching the YouTube clip*

See.. Neal Stephenson got it wrong.. He should have kickstarter-ed a MOVIE about people making the CLANG game.... This clip looks like it would have been a hit on Machinima dot com.

Old 09 September 2013   #78
In other news...
I love how Cartoon Hangover seems to have fun just making stuff.

Their work is so imaginative, random and yet makes perfect sense out of nonsense.
Here is an example of their IP

Then there is Monty Oum who is now working on some of his own IP.

I hope to be getting there real soon.

Old 09 September 2013   #79
Guys I have been in talks with the goold folks at the IP offices (Patent/Copyright/Trademark) in the US, and they are really interested in talking to us. More on that soon..

I am aiming to have the logo for the club ready before the next thread (but to be frank work got really hairy).

I do want to make it easy for talent from different areas(Writing, 2d Animation) to meet up here and maybe recruit other people.
Any ideas on how to do that?

Anyway, keep on posting.

-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2013 at 08:08 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #80
http://www.nikoandtheswordoflight.c...h.dQ7Tlwxo.dpbs

They released Niko and the Sword of Flight today. Yay!
This will show you the future of comics!

Old 09 September 2013   #81
Quote:
Guys I have been in talks with the goold folks at the IP offices (Patent/Copyright/Trademark) in the US, and they are really interested in talking to us. More on that soon..

I am aiming to have the logo for the club ready before the next thread (but to be frank work got really hairy).

I do want to make it easy for talent from different areas(Writing, 2d Animation) to meet up here and maybe recruit other people.

Anyway, keep on posting.

-R

Well a "Think Tank" could be one idea.... But I don't think that can be a forum.
It has to be by submission with specific feedback from this group.

Old 09 September 2013   #82
Quote:

Anyway, keep on posting.

That is the challenging part but that would be so great. I could only imagine when you combine forces and grab best of best and do something cool.

Old 09 September 2013   #83
CONCEPT NAME : Pole Force One
PRODUCTION BLOG : www.combomash.com/category/production-blog/
CATEGORY : Video Game (PC, MAC, Linux, OUYA)

PROJECT DESCRIPTION :

In this tongue-in-cheek, co-op, beat 'em up game, you play as one of three sexy super-hero strippers as they travel the world fighting against injustices such as sex-slavery, violent drug lords, religious extremists, corrupt governments and greedy corporations. Along with the help of their trusty DJ and his robotic creations, you'll be thrown into a wacky adventure reminiscent of many classics - such as Double Dragon, Streets of Rage and Battletoads - but with modern polish and gameplay.

STATUS NUMBER : 6
TEAM MEMBERS : 5

Chris Taylor - Concept Art
Kris Hammes - 3D Character Artist
Tegan Laing - 3D Animation
Aman "Skribbs" Sing - GUI & Design
Power Up Audio - Music & SFX
Grant Moore (Me) - Everything Else

NEXT MILESTONE : Kickstarter Campaign Launch, February 2014

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS WEEK

This week was a lot of administrative stuff that needed to get done, so I have now finally have registered my business as "ComboMash Entertainment Inc" and opened up a bank account. Met with an accountant who works in the game industry, got some advice from her. Did some more research behind the OUYA funds and re-structure my campaign. Managed to convince a friend of mine who is VFS grad to help out with the animations since she was looking for some projects to practice her skills.

WHAT WENT WRONG THIS WEEK

Did not get nearly as much done on the actual prototype as I had hoped, which lead me to another disappointing but important decision. I decided to delay my Kickstarter until February 2014. Why? Because I would only be able to get the absolute bare minimum ready for November and I want to be in a position to hit a home run. This means, having an actual playable prototype people can downloading with a high level of polish in all areas. It'll be short, maybe a minute or two of gameplay, but I feel like it's essentially to really sell the concept, which means more time & effort up-front on my own dime.

SHOW AND TELL

Character Profiles

Character Sculpt of Kiko

Being created by a freelance 3D artists by the name of Kri Hammes.

Prototyping the Basic Motions

Last edited by grantmoore3d : 09 September 2013 at 12:43 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #84
@Roberto - That's pretty exciting news! Granted I'm in Canada so the IP stuff might be different, but just hearing their advice in general would be very valuable. With regards to getting other experts of other mediums involved, I think it's going to be tough given that we're all discussing these things on a website dedicated to CG work. What you are describing sounds more like an entirely new community dedicated to IP building. I'll keep pondering this one and see if I can come up with some good ideas...

Old 09 September 2013   #85
Have you guys seen the front page of IO9.com recently?
http://io9.com/crowdfund-an-effort-...e-bo-1422522263

& Cartoon Brew?

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/crowdfun...ists-89045.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 09 September 2013 at 08:31 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #86
Quote:
Have you guys seen the front page of IO9.com recently?
http://io9.com/crowdfund-an-effort-...e-bo-1422522263

& Cartoon Brew?

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/crowdfun...ists-89045.html

We had seen the feature on Cartoon Brew, but not IO9. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmoore3d
Did not get nearly as much done on the actual prototype as I had hoped, which lead me to another disappointing but important decision. I decided to delay my Kickstarter until February 2014.

I'm sure it will be for the best, especially if it allows you to have polished gameplay to show. There are so many promising games on Kickstarter, you really need to make yours stand out from the crowd.

That 3D model is looking good btw. Do you expect being able to start the animation soon?

Old 09 September 2013   #87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frotze
I'm sure it will be for the best, especially if it allows you to have polished gameplay to show. There are so many promising games on Kickstarter, you really need to make yours stand out from the crowd.

That 3D model is looking good btw. Do you expect being able to start the animation soon?

@Frotze - Yeah, that was largely the reason I decided to delay. I could throw together a good enough prototype by next month but I think that extra level of polish will make the campaign go much smoother. I'm just waiting for the artist to finish retopologizing the mesh and UV-mapping, then I'll hopefully be able to get it rigged and start animating.

Old 09 September 2013   #88
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread