High poly to low poly texture transfer. Hoping to confirm/deny these questions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
High poly to low poly texture transfer. Hoping to confirm/deny these questions

After searching countless forums it seems no one ever gave me the straight answers I was looking for. I have here some things that I've come to assume about the whole process of making a low poly count model look like a high poly count model through texturing.

• The first step seems clear, I need two versions of the same model. One can have unlimited amount of polygons, and the other should meet the low poly limits of my game
  • Next I have to unwrap my high poly model. I can texture this as fancy as I want, though I should keep my texture file size reasonable
  • I then have to unwrap my low poly model with the same seams as the high poly model
  • Now I can line up the sections of UVs from the high poly unwrap to the low poly unwrap, and everything should be dandy.
  • Is there a way, say in C4D, to transfer the UVW tag from the high poly to low poly or do both need to be separately unwrapped?

I think I'm getting close, but something about this process seems a bit wonky, I'm hoping someone can take the time to give it to me and other readers all in one shot right here in this thread. Thanks for reading.

www.doctrinecreative.com

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Here's straight as you can get :
Assuming you are working in zBrush

1. Sculpt Awesomeness
2. Retopologize Awesomeness and make a crappy mesh that somewhat resembles awesomeness
3.Unwrap Base Mesh
4.Project High Details of Awesomeness on to Crappyness (Project>Divide and Repeat)
5.Create a normal map/bump and a displacement map
6.Clone maps
7.Export Maps
8.Export .obj mesh
9.Import into a program such as Maya, Cinema etc...
10.Link the maps to the appropriate channels and fix the settings.
11.Render out

Congratulations you win at life. No , but seriously I may have powered through some steps but thats the basic idea

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Money is on the money there mate, that's pretty much the easiest way to do it.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread