Particle Flow Instanced Geometry Animated

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Angry Particle Flow Instanced Geometry Animated

Howdy-

I am running into a very frustrating issue. I am working on a scene where I need to grow grass from a seed. I have a particle system spreading seed out, it hits the ground and sits for a bit, then I have a deflector sweep across with a collision spawn to create a new particle at the same point of each seed particle which makes it appear as the blade grows out of the seed. The new particle is instanced geometry of a blade of grass which grows upwards and bends and twists as it goes. I have a group of several different blades of grass that are instanced. I have removed all modifiers and animations from the grass geometry and the animation is handled by a point cache modifier on each piece of grass. My point cache range is more than enough for what I need.

My issue is that at the same two frames in my animation the grass jumps. It's like either the particle swaps out for another blade or the bend/twist gets changed. It doesn't seem to happen to all of the blades, just a bunch of them, enough to easily notice. I am pulling my hair out.

I have placed deflectors all around the scene to kill any particles outside of camera range [in case it was a memory issue]. I have check my PFlow tree extensively to see if there were any reset particle age checked. None that I can find.

Any ideas? This is holding up my delivery on this project

thx

jEFf

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Instead of use a group instance, create new pf sources for each different animated blade. So if you have ten different blade types you would have ten pf sources.

It will work as expected then and the system will run faster.

There is no need to make everything happen in one system if you don't absolutely have too.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
Thanks for the response

I might be able to do that , but then I think I would also have to break the seed spray into multiple PFLow events as well to make sure that every seed grows one blade of grass.

Any other thoughts on what might be causing the jumping?

thx

Last edited by BillSkinzFifth : 06 June 2013 at 06:17 PM.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
It is an age old problem. Well if you have ten different animated objects in the group there are 10 possible variances for each particle ID, so when particle goes into a new event it is possible for it to pick up a new shape ID.

Exposure to shape ID is something we have requested for years with no hint of actually getting it. It would solve all of these problems.

This is pretty much how you have to do it within a single source, it is just not that stable IMO. (please excuse the scene i added it to something I was showing someone else, vray is the renderer and there is a call to an HDRI map, it should be fine though, let me know if it isn't)
Attached Files
File Type: zip max2011_PF_ShapeInstance.zip (31.0 KB, 8 views)

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRandom
It is an age old problem. Well if you have ten different animated objects in the group there are 10 possible variances for each particle ID, so when particle goes into a new event it is possible for it to pick up a new shape ID.

Exposure to shape ID is something we have requested for years with no hint of actually getting it. It would solve all of these problems.

This is pretty much how you have to do it within a single source, it is just not that stable IMO. (please excuse the scene i added it to something I was showing someone else, vray is the renderer and there is a call to an HDRI map, it should be fine though, let me know if it isn't)

Thx. for the reply. We are so under the gun that we have created a bubblegum and tape fix that should work. However I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind and try it that way next time. Thanks for the advise and I will check out your scene.

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread