Open EXR workflows

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Open EXR workflows

Is there an easy way to work with large exr sequences in After Effects? Currently, the most efficient way I've been dealing with it is extracting each pass applying any necessary color corrections to them and rendering them out as a uncompressed MOV to bring back in for compositing. Otherwise the 32 bit exr's choke my computer.

Please tell me there's an easier way that will utilize the single file format and allow me to work quicker in After Effects.

Old 03 March 2013   #2
I like to use the rla format - I only use 8bit though, but it has zdepth, object IDs and material IDs that I can extract and use in Ae. there are more channels I can write to in it too.
I render 3D from Max.
Edit: I found a 32bit linear workflow was prohibitive to my cpu specs at the moment, I'll render 16bit or 32bit for a still (usually 16bit) and seldom a 16bit image sequence from 3dsMax.

Last edited by embryotic : 03 March 2013 at 08:24 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #3
In the past I rendered out rla's but ran into a problem with Maya 2011 and the zdepth. For some reason it was giveing me a super shallow depth range that was in the 100ths of thousands decimal point. Also, I had issues with useing ID tags in maya where I was getting a lot of aliasing regardless of my render settings. Now I just create a render layer and apply my own surface shaders to my objects to create my ID matte.

Still haven't found a good workflow for dealing with 32bit exr's in After Effects. I imagine this is a common problem. Do other studios handle this with faster tech? Maybe a thunderbolt drive or fiber channel?

Old 03 March 2013   #4
i'm not an AE guy at all, but some generall tips for exr:
1)16bit half float is for most of the stuff enough and this will bring down your filesize
2)even if a big exr with all passes is nice to have its really slow, because of the way the exr specs are designed. the channels are stored in an interleave format. you have to load all passes to get the data for just one. this makes it really slow with a lot of channels inside.
better you write out a seperate file for each pass you need. in this way you can just load the one you needing and still can use the good compression of the exr file and the float precission

3) the id pass is always aliased because an pixel can only related to one object. it cant be half of object a and half of object b.
4) maybe you set up your z channel to be in real depth format and not in a normalized way. the normalize will bring all values to a range between 0 and 1 (or in 8bit term between 0 -255)

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread