CartoonBrew: The Studio Promo To End All Studio Promos

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2013   #1
CartoonBrew: The Studio Promo To End All Studio Promos

Quote:
"How does a traditional animation studio promote itself in a CG-obsessed world? Austin, Texas-based Powerhouse Animation Studios, which produced the 2D cut-scenes in the Epic Mickey games, does it with a heaping side of humor. They made this tongue-in-cheek studio promo, cheekily titled “Against the Z-Axis,” that advertises their “pure, organic, traditional, AMERICAN animation.”

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/advertis...omos-77993.html
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Old 02 February 2013   #2
are they the studio that does all those terrible comic bookish video game intros whenever the game doesn't have budget for a cut scene?

Old 02 February 2013   #3
No small irony that the animation in this piece has none of the flair or fluidity usually associated with traditional 2D animation, instead it looks more like cutout Flash or After Effects Puppet style motion. Not that I have anything against those styles but it seems to counter their whole argument really..

Cheers,
Brian

Old 02 February 2013   #4
Quote:
this piece has none of the flair or fluidity usually associated with traditional 2D animation

I completely agree.

Old 02 February 2013   #5
Nice reel, but they seem to be implying that there is something inherently wrong with 3D animation, which is a silly premise to begin with.

It reeks of all those 70s rock bands who proclaimed "NO SYNTHESIZERS USED!" on their album covers in order to convince their fans that they were more hardcore rockers...or something.

Old 02 February 2013   #6
I think it's just meant to be a tongue-in-cheek self-promo gimmick. I seriously doubt they think all the things you guys are accusing them of. Remember, we're living in the era of memes and going viral--that's what they're trying to do.

Old 02 February 2013   #7
I don't think we're doing something so grand as being accusatory- It just feels a little flat on account of these things.

Old 02 February 2013   #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephisus
I don't think we're doing something so grand as being accusatory- It just feels a little flat on account of these things.

Exactly, every time I see a Glen Keane or Milt Kahl pencil test I can't help thinking that we have definitely lost something if we totally abandon 2d hand drawn animation for CG. I also love stop motion (Paranorman was my favorite animated movie last year) and the more 'limited' styles of 2d stuff (including AE puppet stuff like Archer which I think is a great show, both visually and in the writing/voice acting).

But this, while funny in concept, was visually a bit 'meh' for me and it didn't feel 'traditional' at all in its style.. I'm not insulted or outraged by it, just a bit underwhelmed. With that said I'm sure it will work as a viral promo, I've already seen it posted on two other forums today and I hope the studio get work from it (any animators getting steady work these days is a good thing).

Cheers,
Brian

Last edited by Horganovski : 02 February 2013 at 10:41 PM.

Old 02 February 2013   #9
But... their promo contains... a lot of.... Computer Generated.... 3D animation....

It's to symbolize Hypocrisy! Now I get it!

GOOD JOB!

Old 02 February 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread