No one has helped before.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2006   #1
No one has helped before.

Greetings,I have been a lurker here for awhile,and finally came to the point where I need to Post.I am at a bit of an empasse with some Techniques and need some advice on how to move my skill to the next level.A few years ago I came acrossed a page where someone had taken Line Art they had scanned imported it into Photoshop and then "Digitally Inked" the color in.Now I was astonished at the look and started trying to figure it out for myself.I found a few Tutorials and started playing around with random Concept Art I found online...I truly enjoyed watching the picture come to life under my Mouse...but now as the years have gone on I feel lacking in certain things.

The best way to describe this is by giving examples of work I know for a fact has been "colored" in Photoshop or Painter and this is where I want to go.I give all credit to the Original Artists for the pieces I am about to show.You may notice a trend in the subject matter but it is simply because thats what I have been exposed to.

Credit to Samwise Didier.(http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/index.html)

http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/warcr...4c.html#gallery
http://www.sonsofthestorm.com/warcr...6c.html#gallery

Credit to Jiang Wei.(Cannot find a site online with his/her stuff)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burn...raenei-800x.jpg
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/burn...llidan-800x.jpg

Now I know these were Originally Inked Black on White Paper and then Scanned into Photoshop and "digitally colored" because I am familiar with the idea but what I dont know is how they get such in-depth variations in not only Color but Light and Shadow.

For me the process has been simple:Open Line Art in Photoshop>Duplicate Base Layer>Set Duplicate to Multiply>Add New Layers below it for each Color. Once I get the Base Color laid in I use Variation in the Setting between the Burn and Dodge Tools to try and credit Dept and Light/Shadow but it just doesnt come anywhere near the quality above.Can anyone offer any Suggestions on how to Improve this or how I should do this,or even Links too good Tutorials?I have also included my Email below for those that want to send details.I am really in a rough spot here as I feel I am almost to my Limit in Photoshop and I cannot believe that there must be a way.

I appreciate any input on this.
Blyxx;Digital Scream Designs.
tflong@charter.net

Old 06 June 2006   #2
For some reasons no one seems to care for new ppl to the forum *hint* :P

Anyways, i'm kidding

Let me try to help you..I used to create depth also with the dodge & burn tools. Since I saw Dylan Cole's DVD-series (Yes, I'm a big fan and not ashamed to admit :P) I saw he simply used different shades of colors to create a lot of stuff!

So, since then I've been "at it" trying the same thing and as I look to the art of a lot of good artists out there, I'm almost certain the use a similar technique...well, actually, it's just painting like you would paint in real life, no dodge & burn there You just use a base color and then try to pick some lighter of darker tones.

The thing that really helps (at least it does for me) is adjusting brush-settings for my brush. At the settings you have "Other Dynamics", and there I put the settings, both, on Pen Pressure. This helps to adjust the brush to the underlaying paint and mixes it. (Correct me if i'm wrong)...so, this way, you'll end up with different tones and shades which brings lifes to the thing you're trying to paint.

If you're into painting, a good tablet is a must!

So, i hope this helps you a bit

Old 06 June 2006   #3
People around here tend to sort of discourage using the dodge and burn as they just make the one color darker or lighter and you're not taking into account the dynamics of real light- form shadows, cast shadows, reflections, interaction between colors and so on. Post one of your pictures and we can see where you might be going wrong.

Another suggestion is to post one of your pictures in this thread- get a paintover by Stahlberg- he's fantastic and this is one of our most valuable resources on this forum. Ask him to explain how he gets the light to play well in your painting- he's really good with lighting.

Old 06 June 2006   #4
Having Stalhberg critique your work is a good option I would love to put in my work for a critique/paintover, but then again, Stahlberg is allready covered too his neck in paintovers or not?

Old 06 June 2006   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread