3dmax 2018 - how to mirror morph targets? (old maxscripts wont work, please help)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

03 March 2018
3dmax 2018 - how to mirror morph targets? (old maxscripts wont work, please help)

Hi

I need to create over 60 face expressions for about 40 characters. It would be great to have a script for mirroring the morph targets but none of the scripts i found work. I would buy or hire someone to write it for me but i dont have time to do that becouse i'm in a middle of the project.

Symmetry tools in ribbon wont work on the face models i have. It would be great to have better manager for the morph targets. Please help

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Piotrek255 : 03 March 2018 at 04:40 PM.

03 March 2018
Originally Posted by Piotrek255:
Symmetry tools in ribbon wont work on the face models i have.
You couldn't get it to work or your model isn't suitable for a known reason (can't think of one at the moment. If you want to use symmetrical morph targets, the mesh should be symmetrical at least in parts after all)?

03 March 2018
I may be able to help, IF there is a NEUTRAL mesh (ie. a head/character with no morphs on it)
(btw, it's MCG so should be ok for 2018)

Last edited by vusta : 03 March 2018 at 06:00 AM.

03 March 2018
check out the smarter logic...previously, the extra verts would 'merge' to the nearest vert it could find....now it 'knows' where to go !!

03 March 2018
Use mirrored object with morpher modifier as control mesh for skin wrap on original model.

03 March 2018
No offence..but to me, that's old, slow, convoluted, dead end workflow (yes that's how I used to do it MANUALLY)...if you want to tweak the left target a bit say ...it doesn't auto flow to the right target cuz of the mirror/skinwrap.

Mine will work with live update, ie. you can tweak the left target (or right) it will instantly be mirrored....so the only thing to do is recapture the new tweaked targets

I know which workflow I would take...

Last edited by vusta : 03 March 2018 at 08:14 AM.

03 March 2018
vusta: thanks, looks great but where can i download it?

03 March 2018
you can't simply expect me to do RnD then tell the world...hey world, here's the link to my IP...just take it...

got a kid and 4 wives to feed...

03 March 2018
I though it is ready for purchase/download, in the end i had to do it manually. It would be great if you could come up with a script to better manage morph targets in 3dmax, have a larger morph list than 10 at once before using a slider, export all of the morph targets into a grid in 3D space, mirror morph targets, i woud definitely buy a script/plugin like that. Most of people animate in maya so i guess that's the reason there arent many scripts like that for 3dmax. Guess it is not profitable.

03 March 2018
well I have to polish it, make sure it works for 2016/17/18...can't just release a beta version..

03 March 2018
quite surprised to find that the Mirror modifier in Max itself just flips the verts over, ie. vert IDs jump across the axis making mirrored 'target' as useful as t*ts on a bull....

(well ok, it can be useful if you use the manual Mirror/skinwrap method, still, expected better...)

Anyway, my MCG does NOT flip the vert IDs over...nearly finished.

03 March 2018

03 March 2018
you can't beat this Combo...

03 March 2018
AndriyPogribniy- thanks, works great

Vusta - looks good, i started doing it with skin wrap method and it works fast too, a bit slower though.

03 March 2018
To mirror the Morph Target I still usePetrisMaxTools

http://www.titopetri.com/

reply share thread