Auto Exposure

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

03 March 2018
Auto Exposure

I'm on an architectural walkthrough job and I want to enter the building from outside by a continuous camera motion. Outside needs 14eV and inside is better at around 8eV . I really wonder how I've never needed this or how I've solved it before: probably doing separate renders. But I felt like an auto exposure is needed here.

I thought it might be possible with Physical Camera. There is a target exposure option whch states "it automatically adjusts exposure like Auto ISO..." on the tooltip. How does it operate as an Auto Exposure on a real camera? Or does it actually work that way?

I can simply animate the parameter but as I've said, this never occured to me as a problem. When thinking deeper, exposure values would change even by turning your head and that will introduce changes in brightness values? There has to be mode selection for the way Max will handle exposure measurement, like the spot etc. methods on a real camera. That'll bring even more problems.
I'm baffled.

03 March 2018
Newest VRay is supposed to have this. Haven't tried it or read others' experience with it, but it's there.

03 March 2018
*edit: nvm...

03 March 2018
Sorry I forgot to say, I've started the project with Mental Ray, because some objects were previously created with MR materials. So Mental Ray is the preferred renderer.

reply share thread