annoying glitch

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

1 Week Ago
annoying glitch

c4d r18 is acting up with me today, probably to do with Octane, which while wonderful is annoyingly crash happy.

I've copied an Octane Material, and I'm trying to load a psd into various channels of the material. When I try to click open in the finder dialog box that pops up when browsing for the correct psd, I just get a beep and nothing happens. I have to force quit, even though c4d does not show up as "not responding"

Any ideas? I'm having a bad day today, my Mac Pro's fans were going full blast for no reason this morning, that seems to have sorted itself after an SMC reset. 

1 Week Ago
Don't use PSDs. I'm pretty sure remembering that it breaks Octane every time. Just JPG or PNG them.

1 Week Ago
Hmmm... well I just threw a PSD in an Octane shader and it works. But I'm sure it has played up in the past. Do your files have alpha channels or anything?

Last edited by Darth Mole : 1 Week Ago at 05:00 PM.

1 Week Ago
Thanks for the replies. It all settled down after I dumped the c4d prefs file.

I always use psd files in Octane and the native renderer. Reason being that I store different channels, diffuse, bump, specular etc  and lots of alpha masks, as different layers or layer sets in the psd file and select them as appropriate when building materials. I sometimes have 20 to 30 layers for different channels in one psd. This is a major advantage Octane has over Redshift for me.

This workflow is a massive time saver, and doesn't normally cause me any problems. No one at Otoy or Maxon has told me it's bad practice.  But maybe I've been doing it wrong!

1 Week Ago
Maybe that's just me then; maybe I'm behind the times!

Ah – just remembered: it's Keyshot that doesn't like PSDs. Instacrash

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: I always use psd files in Octane and the native renderer. Reason being that I store different channels, diffuse, bump, specular etc  and lots of alpha masks, as different layers or layer sets in the psd file and select them as appropriate when building materials. I sometimes have 20 to 30 layers for different channels in one psd. This is a major advantage Octane has over Redshift for me.

That's an interesting workflow that I hadn't thought of before.

1 Week Ago
I have a video, part of a series, that shows how you can use Smart Layers to have "Vector" style resolution independent textures:
https://www.cineversity.com/vidplay...op_smart_layers

1 Week Ago
I'll watch that Nose. This is probably old news to you, but I've discovered that you can also have smart filters on a layer and have c4d take them into account. It's great when you are trying to get just the right amount of blur on a displacement map or alpha mask, you can to and fro between photoshop and c4d and just click reload image to update the changes.

1 Week Ago
Originally Posted by mitchino: I'll watch that Nose. This is probably old news to you, but I've discovered that you can also have smart filters on a layer and have c4d take them into account. It's great when you are trying to get just the right amount of blur on a displacement map or alpha mask, you can to and fro between photoshop and c4d and just click reload image to update the changes.
Beware the smart filters, as they are resolution dependent, so a 20 pixel blur will change size if you scale the image in Photoshop.
You can re-encapsulate the Smart Layer with the Smart Filter, i order to "lock" the Filter size.
I think that's in the video as well...

reply share thread