spline ik along spline

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

2 Weeks Ago
spline ik along spline

hi guys,

im super desperate ... i tried everything and i cant get it to work ... please please help!!!

I got an asian dragon rigged via spline IK. now i need this joint chain to PERFECTLY ride along a spline. NO DYNAMICS ... NO HOCUS POCUS ... JUST SIMPLY JOINTS ALONG SPLINE ...

sorry for shouting but i lost days figuring this out ... please please help me!

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by firewireflow: hi guys,

im super desperate ... i tried everything and i cant get it to work ... please please help!!!

I got an asian dragon rigged via spline IK. now i need this joint chain to PERFECTLY ride along a spline. NO DYNAMICS ... NO HOCUS POCUS ... JUST SIMPLY JOINTS ALONG SPLINE ...

sorry for shouting but i lost days figuring this out ... please please help me!
Did you see my response to your original question? I even provided a file.

To have your dragon follow a spline, spline IK is not necessary. The spline wrap will do that on its own.

If you have more complex needs (e.g. wings or mouth need to be rigged, etc.) there may be a reason to do something more complex (morph tag, etc). But as stated, your problem is simple to solve. Use the spline wrap, and animate the offset parameter.

2 Weeks Ago
hi ... thx for your reply ...

this is just partly true ... the spline wrap does deform it but i have a lots of other rigging stuff goin on ... for example the legs do certain stuff when a certain angle of the spine is reached ... when the head lifts the tail is going the other direction ... and so on ...

a spline wrap simply bends the whole thing ... i dont want that ...

2 Weeks Ago
Originally Posted by firewireflow: hi ... thx for your reply ...

this is just partly true ... the spline wrap does deform it but i have a lots of other rigging stuff goin on ... for example the legs do certain stuff when a certain angle of the spine is reached ... when the head lifts the tail is going the other direction ... and so on ...

a spline wrap simply bends the whole thing ... i dont want that ...
Again, I'm having some trouble assessing your needs, but you can combine the spline wrap with whatever other form of animation you want. You may need to be mindful of C4D's execution order (top to bottom, left to right, generally). Here is a simple proof of concept with two kinds of animation on the mesh (joints flapping the wings, and a pose morph opening and closing the mouth), combined with a spline wrap to do the overall movement. You can also animate the spline along which the spine wrap deforms the mesh, if you need to. Notice that the spline wrap is last in the execution order; that way, the joints and pose morph get to deform the mesh first, then the spline wrap does its thing.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ub1txh3p5...n_demo.c4d?dl=0

reply share thread