CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
reply share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Old 01-11-2016, 01:56 PM   #961
Joe Rule
Self Employed
Sacramento, United%2BStates
Originally Posted by Geno3883
Hello, I'm new here. I just started learning Maya, I have the DigitalTutor 2016 Maya tutorials, which has you modeling, rigging, animating, texturing, dynamics/etc a gunship.

My question is, obviously I don't think jumping into anything past modeling is recommended yet since I'm new, so, once I finish modeling the gunship (which by the way is horrid compared to the tutorial, wireframe/mesh wise). Where do I go from there? Obviously I should continue modeling random objects, especially curved objects, to get better. But how do I go about learning the best practices/techniques/what order to learn them in?

My main goal is to do character modeling as well as level design. And I know very very little about topology, and I am sure there is a ton more that I have yet to know about. Any help/pointing me in the right direction would be extremely appreciated.

Video tutorials are by far the fastest way to learn. There are some specialized modeling courses that may be beneficial. I'd also find some modeling books. Stop Staring by Jason Osipa is where I learned proper facial topology for characters.

Other than that, just keep modeling! There's no substitute for just trying things, failing and figuring out what went wrong.

EDIT: Also analyze other models to see how things are structured.
Old 07-31-2016, 09:12 AM   #962
Tehran, Iran
this is some of my bookmarks with the board !!!

maya tutorials
reply share thread