Meet the Artist :: David Lesperance

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #16
Hey Dave!

Thanks for teaching the class at Zbrush workshop, I learned a ton! A question Iíve been thinking about all this week is that with the massive increase in cost for next-gen AAA titles will fewer games made? Also will new game taking a lot less risks when it comes to creative ventures due to the cost? Thanks and rock on! \m/

Old 09 September 2013   #17
Hello, I am very happy to see you here.. I love your work

I want to ask you how do you render big scenes especially for animation (the cinematics environment for example) do you render the whole scene one time or dividing it for parts then putting it together in comp??

Second I came from archviz industry and I think maybe it has the same techniques for environment and matte do you think that will make it easier to break into film/games industry after training of course or is it irrelevant

Thanks alot

Last edited by Maymoun : 11 November 2013 at 01:45 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #18
Originally Posted by Cuvey: Hi David,

I'm a fan of your work and I feel I should use this oportunity to ask you technical stuff, but instead I'm gonna ask you a personal question.
I'm from Argentina and about to graduate from college. I hope to gather some work experience and in a not too distant future move to a country where I have a better chance of working in what I love. Here what's most common is that you'll live all your life wherever you're born, many times even in the same neighborhood. But I see that all the people who work in the videogames industry (or maybe it's something common for everybody in the States?) moves every now and then. I wanted to ask you how do you and your family adapt to this? Is there any place where you feel truly at home?

Thanks for answering all these questions,
Sofia

Honestly moving around is a huge pain. The older I get the less I want to move. Our field tends to force people to move around alot because of sustainability issues with a company or the company closing all together, even in some cases there are issues with not having any cg companies in your area. My experience is that your home will always be your home and you sometimes you have to live away from your home. But if you stay in contact and travel back as much as you can or for special events you really never leave.

Dave

Old 09 September 2013   #19
Originally Posted by Phil-Liu: Hey Dave!

Thanks for teaching the class at Zbrush workshop, I learned a ton! A question Iíve been thinking about all this week is that with the massive increase in cost for next-gen AAA titles will fewer games made? Also will new game taking a lot less risks when it comes to creative ventures due to the cost? Thanks and rock on! \m/

Hey dude glad you dug the class glad you got to learn some stuff and I hope it was fun! I think our field is at a point where sustainability is a huge concern for studios. I think we are heading to a point where throwing money at the problem doesn't fix it. I think we will see more and more studios using off the shelf software to help fight development cost, hopefully waste alot less and scope their projects for their customer in a better way. After all, fun doesn't have to cost a quarter of a billion dollars. Most people want a great game and great community. I think that we are at point where just because we can doesn't mean we should and it really doesn't make it better. I dont think that the risk factor for games will go down this generation, the increased costs will force betting on a sure thing. Unless you have a platform that leverages being open, not crushing development teams and allowing for people to focus on innovation and fun instead of publishing guidelines.

Hope that answers your question,

Dave

Old 11 November 2013   #20
Hi David! First things first, you and Toni Bratincevic are by a long shot the most inspirational dudes to me when it comes to Environment Modelling.

I'm from Brazil and as far as I'm aware there is no true cinematic houses here, mostly of the works done here is for tv/publicity or it's cartoon stuff. So my question is if in your starting days you have been through something similar and how you managed to get your first step in, because my concern is eventually (after yearrrs of hard work) I may get good enough with Environment stuff but not having cinematic experience at all, if in that case the cinematic houses may give me a shot if my folio is decent enough or I'll have to find a way to get any experience first.

And the last question that kills me is how is the range of stuff an environment dude have to do because I'm afraid to spend time studying things that I'll not be doing in production, if you could talk a bit about it would be perfect. Cheers David!

Last edited by ViniciusInacio : 01 January 2014 at 01:48 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #21
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread