MAX Tranistioning Pain

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
MAX Tranistioning Pain

It's that time again! Yes, Mike is transitioning to a new version of MAX. So you know what that means... you've been waiting to hear once again what I think of the transitioning process courtesy of AD!

Transitioning to a new version of MAX is always a PITA.

Part of this PITA is dealing with an illogical UI that is fragmented beyond belief. Ideally, I want to setup all windows and toolbars, icons, buttons, etc. the way I want them on my 4 monitor desktop and then in one simple location... click save Layout (or workspace or whatever you want to call it) and be done with it. The next time I start MAX... I want everything to open and appear as defined by that layout. If I want a different layout... I make another layout and save it under a different name.

The hodgepodge of UI customization/preferences/workspaces dialogs, menus, pulldowns, INIs, etc. is a confusing mess. The ever-growing and confusing folder tree structure of MAX is baffling. Where do I place this macroscript? How about these icons? What's with all these different language folders that have appeared cluttering up the folder tree? How come when I change workspaces my saved menus/toolbar files seem to disappear and are no longer available to load? Why won't this function appear in a menu I've added it to? Baffling.

Since I use a 4 monitor desktop that's about 5 feet wide... I want every dialog box/window/tab to reopen precisely where I placed it last. So many dialogs in MAX do not do remember their last location or dialog size and I must scroll the mouse across the desktop to find and deal with them each time they open. (All while carpal tunnel syndrome gets worse and I look for ways to mitigate it).

I understand why the UI tools are so fragmented after 25 years of legacy code being stacked upon one another. But it would be a dream come true if some future MAX app brought consistency and simplicity and reliability to customizing and using the MAX UI. (It would be an absolute orgasmic fantasy if one could transition from one version of MAX to another in 5 minutes!).

Upgrading/installing and reauthorizing plugins across the render farm is another part of the pain. I won't even mention the hassle of learning the new functions or where they've been moved to in the latest app restructuring, etc.

But just so you don't think it's all negative... I am very excited by some of the improvements I see in the new version (particularly viewport speed improvements!... thank you AD!) and hope that once the hassle is over, this new version will be worth the pain.

Thanks for listening!

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #2
I agree. I was complaining about dialogs that forget their position just the other day. There's a load I use all the time (mainly in UVUnwrap) that reset to 0,0 every time I open a new scene or modifier or new object. A real pain when my unwrap editor is on screen 2. I can't imagine how annoying that would be with four monitors and the editor on monitor four

Do you have your mouse speed set really high? I'd have thought dragging it back and forth across that huge expanse would be bad for carpel tunnel or RSI. I might have gone for a 2x2 layout.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
I don't have the mouse speed set high but there is an aspect of mouse speed where when you move the mouse quickly it goes greater distances but slower movements travel less and are more precise. I've also got foot pedal mouse buttons to help take the load off of the hands.

The huge desktop expanse is great for keeping windows/dialogs open without having them overlapping each other.

Mike Truly
-----------------------
Truly Media
www.trulymedia.com

Old 05 May 2013   #4
I used to be a big fan of multi display setup, but now that I'm older I prefer to use an ultra hires 30" instead of two or four 1080p. My neck and back is thanking me for this.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Yeah I hate overlapping windows too. I have my mat editor, and UVedit window and image browser all packed together on my second screen.

I don't like moving my mouse huge distances so I make heavy use of quads for keeping stuff near my cursor but not on all the time. Never got on with the mouse accelerator myself, I like a more 1:1 type movement. But I can see that working for a big wide display. Foot pedals sound like a good idea.

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Not the most productive comment, but I am seriously considering making the jump to Maya as much as a pita that will be learning another new interface.

Not sure why Autodesk insists on releasing a new version all the time.

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread