Flat plane left behind when clipping

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 03 March 2013   #1
Flat plane left behind when clipping

Hi All,

I've been using the clipping rectangle tool in ZBrush (R4), and it's doing some weird stuff which I can't figure out. As an example, let's say I make a cylinder, then use the clipping rectangle to chop the top and bottom off. The top will be clipped perfectly, but the bottom will appear to be clipped when in side on orthographic, but as soon as I rotate the model I can see it's clipped it, but also created a large flat disc on the bottom of the model. It does this every time. The model basically looks like a hat now, which isn't really what I'm after...

Any ideas what's causing this? It's driving me nuts.

Thanks!

Old 03 March 2013   #2
is the cylinder tapered or angled in any way? Something to keep in mind is that the clip brushes actually only flatten the geo it doesn't physically cut the geo.

*edit* You may have better luck with the clip curve tool (It can still clip straight lines)

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

Old 03 March 2013   #3
Nope, flat as a pancake.

Old 03 March 2013   #4
Any luck with the clip curve instead? The videos by David Richardson opened my eyes on how to effectively use it. http://vimeo.com/50879620

Also as an alternative you could try the slice curve tool and dyanamesh with group on to Slice the geo away, You could also use the boolean tools to do something similar. Or use the select rectangle to hide the parts you want to "clip" then delete hidden and close holes to get your new shape.

Blizzard Art Contest Entry

JesseIrvin.com

email me at: jesse@jesseirvin.com

Old 03 March 2013   #5
Thanks, I'll certainly watch that tutorial you linked to and see what I can learn. I'm pretty new to ZBrush, and am finding it's workflow so radically different to what I'm used to in Max and Maya as to be somewhat difficult to wrap my head around. Add to that it's either buggy or just inconsistent, as I get different results when I try the same operations multiple times. Most frustrating. Perhaps it's a lack of understanding on my part.

I have to suppress the voice in the back of my head which is repeatedly shouting "I could do that 10x quicker in Maya!". I know that will change as the model gains complexity, but for basic stuff, raw poly modelling in Max/Maya is just so much easier.

Old 03 March 2013   #6
Originally Posted by zabungle: I have to suppress the voice in the back of my head which is repeatedly shouting "I could do that 10x quicker in Maya!"..

its not what you like its what they like,
far as i have seen they haven't really valued on what customers think,
the transpose / action line is a train wreak night mare,
GOZ to me was designed for simple thing zbrush could of done but it can't.
all 3d apps cant be perfect but zbrush has been getting off track far as intuitive.
do you want to model or fight the app?
some stuff in zbrush its like writing left handed when your right handed it doesn't feel natural,
i want a app that feel's natural not awkward.
some of the stuff in zbrush is getting to be a 2 and 3 step processes rather then 1 step,
its like a car with a stick shift, why shift and push in the clutch to change gears when you can have a automatic?

i say stop with the new features until things can more simple and listen and take care of your paying customer's

Last edited by informerman : 03 March 2013 at 04:05 AM.

Old 03 March 2013   #7
Originally Posted by zabungle: Nope, flat as a pancake.

I get this too. People have posted about it on the Pixologic forum and I don't think there is a fix yet. Until there is I've stopped using the clip function.

Old 03 March 2013   #8
Use clip-curve instead of clip-rectangle and you won't get this. Note however, if you try to clip a section of geometry that has a greater surface area than the what you are clipping to, then you will get this flat disc effect. This is not a bug but the nature of the clipping brushes.

Old 03 March 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread