Antialiasing, Geometry vs. Textures

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Antialiasing, Geometry vs. Textures

Hey,

So I'm working on a compositing shot, using a camera projection map as my texture. Since I'm pulling the textures directly from the shot, I don't want Max to affect them in any way, no filtering whatsoever.

Problem is that the edges of my mesh are still rendering razor sharp, which is obviously standing out a bit.

So how do I soften/filter/anti-alias the edges of my mesh, WITHOUT affecting the texture as well.

Any attempts I've had so far adjusting the Area Filter size for example, have also resulted in the texture being blurred.

And just to clarify, I'm not talking about high poly modeling in terms of softening edges...ideally this would just be a quick tweak in the render settings.

Thanks!

04 April 2013
You can disable the filtering of the bitmap assigned to the material from the bitmap parameters rollout of the assigned channel (eg.Diffuse)

There you'll find Filtering section which defauls to Pyramidal and when you set it to none, your bitmaps won't be filtered. I doubt if it will help your situation though. May be.

You may also chose mental ray render, assuming you are ussing Scanline currently. It might have different results, more options and might help. Same settings work with Mental Ray render, too.

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread