Texture premultiplication issue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Texture premultiplication issue

Hi, me again, sorry.

I'm using png textures with alpha and I'm getting a black fringe around my textures when rendered. The textures are coming into Maya unpremultiplied, so the black fringe seems to be due to something Maya is doing to the texture.

Any ideas?

03 March 2013
Don't place black right where the border is. Expand your texture out a bit so it covers more ground. I usually don't use black at all but instead cover the whole empty area with colors similar to the texture themselves.

03 March 2013
Also if you are using an alpha for transparency make sure the texture filtering in your file node for your alpha is set to off. Can give a better result.

03 March 2013
Hi, thanks for the input everyone.
I've tried turning off the filtering and it hasn't helped, unfortunately.

The color channels already extend to the edge of the antialiasing on the alpha channel, so it ought to work fine as is, but I did try further extending the color beyond the edge of the alpha channel and while it did get rid of the black line, this isn't really a viable workaround. The textures I'm using are numerous, complex and animated, and having to manually go in and paint around the edges of each texture would take far too long, as well as probably introducing artefacts where the border of the texture is not a single colour.

It seems to me that this is an issue with Maya and not my textures; can anybody think of a cause for this problem? Thanks!

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread