Bake Sculpt Objects issue (project file provided)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
Unhappy Bake Sculpt Objects issue (project file provided)

Hi,

I have issues with baking a sculpted object I made. Baked maps look wrong and so it shows on the object, distorting it. I have tried sculpting a random brick and a tube, but those bake just fine. What is the source of this problem? :/

Project file: http://www.2shared.com/file/ijtjLSZ...g_arrival6.html

Edit: Renderin it gives me this error message: sculptbake_Normal_Source_6.tif (BakedMaterial)
sculptbake_Displacement_Source_6_Target_0.tif (BakedMaterial)

Please help me.
Jon

Last edited by Echoes2331 : 03 March 2013 at 03:21 PM.

03 March 2013
Bumpy bump.

03 March 2013
If you look at the console, you'll see the Relax UV operation issues an error: there are degenerated polygons. Try running the Optimize command before baking.

Hope this helps
cheers

03 March 2013
Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately running Optimize command won`t help. Hm, hm...

Jon

03 March 2013
yep sorry, just tryied and it doesn't solve. I run GeomCheck on level 0 and this is the result:

but to be honest I don't know what's the best way to solve (nor if this is really the problem, for that matters)

03 March 2013
Bad quads? What makes them so?

And I don`t really need the best solution, just A solution.

Thanks again.

Jon

03 March 2013
Bad quads or degenerated polygons may show up in various situations (polygons collapsed in a single point or line, over-angled non-planar points, etc. Ref: http://www.kxcad.net/CINEMA_4D/help...l/OPOLYGON.html )
You probably can solve with few extra cuts on the interested polygons, but I think you will lose all the sculpting then.

03 March 2013
So, I got myself that nice GeomCheck plugin and cut up my mesh to get rid of bad quads. Then, I did a test sculpt and bake. The issue persists. Sadly.

Jon

03 March 2013
I do not think you need a plugin for finding bad polygons since in UV edit mode C4D selects them for you automatically after the error pop up.

It is basically saying your mesh is build in a bad way: three polygons meeting on one edge for example is a case that often leads to that specific error message and the other likely cases are the ones Visualtricks mentioned.

Inserting cuts won't solve the problem in most cases since it does not remove the critical areas. Delete the bad polygons and rebuild the mesh from there is the only solution I guess after running the optimize command.

I would be more specific but I am not on R14 so I cannot check out your file.

Good luck!

03 March 2013
Thank you zeden,

I guess having a good mesh is harder than I thought. Better start educating myself on this topic. I`m still a beginner in 3D graphics.

03 March 2013
There are lots of known issues with baking out sculpts even with very clean meshes. Say, a sphere for instance. Do a search here and you will see.

03 March 2013
Well, if you have undesirable results with the built in baking tools, you can export your lowest & highest level meshes as .objs, & use the free XNormal package to perform different kinds of bakes.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread