How to smoothly segment an object?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

03 March 2013
How to smoothly segment an object?

Hey guys,

This type of problem has plagued me since forever and I've never really found a good solution. Say I have some arbitrary polygonal mesh. Maybe a simple sphere. Maybe a high-res character from a 3D scan. Now say I want to segment it into chunks (sort of like that Resident Evil scene where the laser grid slices through the character...). So far this is all fine. But now say I want to bevel the edges where the "slicing" has occurred. I've always been at a loss as to how to achieve this cleanly. Generally cutting up the mesh will produce lots of weird geometry that naturally will not smooth or bevel well. How would people generally tackle such a problem?

For a specific example, say I have a torus that I'd like to dice up. The torus topology does not lend itself to clean cuts along vertical and horizontal directions. How would one achieve this? Ideally I'd like to find a general solution that could be applied to any original mesh cut up in any arbitrary way. Maybe some tool that generates fresh, clean topology that can then be smoothed or beveled?

Hope that all makes sense!

Thanks.

03 March 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread