Library of poses.

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

11 November 2012
Originally Posted by Scott Ayers: What was wrong with the old P2P library system?
What were the bugs in it that made Maxon remove it?

-ScottA

It was clunky, and only worked on PSR, so No User Data. It also like overwrote things iirc.

It was just not particularly good, at least not anymore.

11 November 2012
Bret is not completely correct as adding new poses is easy as well.

Quote: Fwiw im not saying its a great workflow. Im just saying it can work.

Agreed!

Here is a small description for those not aware of what is and what is not possible with Morph.

I used the rigged skeleton that comes with Cinema.

Select Master-con+ and all it's children.
Create a selection set for it and use it to your advantage.

mode: Edit. Set Priority to: Animation -1.
Create the morph targets, lock them and disable the checkboxes.
Set the time, choose a target and create the keys.

So far there is no difference with whatever video I had to look at.

When you drag the time slider the animation will play no matter what pose is selected in Morph.

If you are finished using the morph targets it's better to disable Morph to get full control over the rig without a fuss.

If not …then things will start to become less easy with Morph.
-Selecting a different controller then already selected in the EditView, will cause an update and your character will jump into the Pose selected in Morph.
-Morph will prevent you using a controller even with the low priority.

There is an easy way around this. Simply create a new "empty" morph target. The keyframes will create the pose of the empty target when you scrub the timeline. There is one thing to take care of and that is that all controllers are selected when scrubbing the animation (Selection object) as only the selected objects will update to the keyframes. Once you're at the frame you want to edit you select the controllers you need and all will be fine.
When done you can do two things. Either set keyframes for the changes or store the new pose by Shift clicking Add Pose.

So is it possible to create a library of poses in Cinema …Yes, very easy and you can access them way faster then storing them in negative time. Keying them is easy as well ...In fact you don't need to have anything selected to key them as long as the selection object is active under the 'record question mark' button.

11 November 2012
Heh, interesting workflow, if that works for you then great I suppose. I'll be sticking to the CD Bind Pose tag though as it seems a lot simpler to setup and use. When I'm animating it's all about efficiency for me.

Cheers,
Brian

12 December 2012
As I've only recent gotten involved in animating a walking character, I have little experience to share. Having said that, I did make a figure walk and then used animation layers to add secondary movements like a head turn and eyes looking around. I used a PoseMorph to close the eyes so I have a blink. For poses, could each pose be keyed once as an animation layer, since they can be turned on/off and have their strength animated and also they 'layer' (mix)? PoseMorphs use point data, right--like a straight mouth to a frown, so you animate the strength of the morph? Animation layers would work on the rig, not the points. Perhaps there is something useful with that difference?

12 December 2012
posemorph doesn't just use points it can translate and store whatever data you'd like, transforms, points, parameters, UV's Hair, you name it, and it works over hierarchies. It's been this way since morph and pose mixer were replaced by posemorph.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by LucentDreams: posemorph doesn't just use points it can translate and store whatever data you'd like..

Very nice, I'm going to use them more and more. But what of the idea of using animation layers to store poses as requested? Could that be a solution or just another not-quite?

12 December 2012
Motion Layers are a not-quite solution unfortunately...

They can only blend with other motion layers; they ALWAYS overwrite keyframed animation. So to blend your manual animation to them you have to turn it into a motionclip as well.

Though if you only use it purely as a pose library, it would work fine (takes more steps though). You can drop in a MotionClip tag and the motion flip for the pose you want, key all the related keyframes on your character, then delete the MotionClip tag.

12 December 2012
2bunk
I kindly ask you to create a video tutorial on your method of working with PoseMorph. It is very important to me. I can not quite understand the meaning of your method from your proper written explanation.
Thank you very much.

12 December 2012
Originally Posted by lomvuho: 2bunk
I kindly ask you to create a video tutorial on your method of working with PoseMorph. It is very important to me. I can not quite understand the meaning of your method from your proper written explanation.
Thank you very much.

I did a simple recording, with two body poses and two hand poses.
movie on vimeo
There are also two shots of creating new poses. One with Morph disabled and one with Morph enabled. Shows how easy it is to create new poses any time you like. If you use a "freepose" it's important that you have all targets selected while scrolling the timeline, as only the selected parts will update. Last one also shows how to combine poses.

Hope it helps.

12 December 2012
Thank you! This is a very interesting method.

12 December 2012
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread