www.johnbruk.com

portfolio
Jan Brukner
digital artist
johnbruk
Prague, Czech Republic

Send a message via ICQ to JohnBruk
Arrow 3D/VFX MAKING of(s) / LITTLE ANNIVERSARY

Time flies and this year I have a little personal anniversary. It has been 12 years since I fell in love with the world of 3D graphics, 10 years of profesional work on visual creation and 7 years of teaching at College and High art school of Vaclav Hollar in Prague - subject 3D graphics.

In the next few days I would like to share some making of/pictures/videos which I haven´t presented yet and which I have worked on last years. I am also starting the official countdown for my new on-line portfolio on www.jan-brukner.cz.

As the first one I would like to present making of the visual environment of Jara Cimrman´s surreal labyrinth - JARMARA.AT for seznam.cz.

VIMEO ALTERNATIVE : https://vimeo.com/103409443

MUSIC IN MAKING OF : Welcome to the Opera (Instrumental) by Vagabond Opera (Licensed by Audiosocket)

WORKING ROLE (WHAT I DID) : Environments - Concept artist, Visual designer, Mattepainter, Illustrator, Visual(art) direction
WORKING TOOLS : Maxon's CINEMA 4D, Photoshop

advert visual :

FINAL PROJECT : jarmara.at
ADVERT CLIP : eallin.com/jarmara

Visual styling and realization of virtual environments for TV/PRINT/WEB campaign JARMARA.AT - online labyrinth in archive of fictitious genius and inventor Jara Cimrman

Jara Cimrman doesn´t need to be presented too long in the Czech republic. He is "a legendar inventor" who was born in heads of performers from Jara Cimrman theatre. Some people compare this group to Monty Pythons. Non-existing character meets existing personalities, he invents everything and nothing. He is a part of a romantic world with admiration to technology along the lines of Jules Verne with classical sfx esthetics of czech filmmaker/animator Karel Zeman. Alternative reality of czech patriot Jara Cimrman is situated to Austro-Hungarian Empire.
When I heard about the possible realization of some Jara Cimrman´s virtual treasury with the name "JARMARA" (Jara´s armoire), I was both surprised and interested. The whole work was under the patronage of searching and informative portal seznam.cz (czech google ), which mysteriously announced coming of "the last missing service of seznam.cz". So it was an interesting challenge and there was a lot of inspiration for playing with motifs, visuals and atmosphere. I was happy for such a big freedom in creation. The work on project itself was made in two phases by me. The first part was working on a visual concept for a short time, development and realization of a surreal environments (mattepaints) for a TV spot. In the spot we were introduced to this large archive "JARMARA" by a director, actor and member of Jara Cimrman theatre Zdenek Sverak. Visual design of a fairytale genealogic tree whith Jara Cimrman´s plays was made for print part of a campaign for this new web project. All of this was created in collaboration with director Uros Trefalt, creative director Petr Hanousek and professional support from copywriter Jakub Smoljak. TV spot was produced, animated, built, composited and brought to life by creative makers from studio Eallin Animation.
The second part of my job was realization of the original environment of Jarmara´s labyrinth, where is a guidepost with Jara Cimrman´s work for lost pilgrims. New-media studio BrainZ realized the whole online interactive piece of this labyrinth in web environment - www.jarmara.at.
Campaign and project Jarmara was awarded by czech prize "bronze Louskáček 2013".
You can watch HERE, how the campaign was made from the view of seznam.cz or you can watch "Jarmara´s chronicle" from advertising agency Outbreak HERE.
Above here you can see making of, where I present the development of my creative work on Jarmara and its technological process.

ADVERT AGENCY (PROJECT / CAMPAING)
by Outbreak :
You can watch "Jarmara´s chronicle" from advertising agency Outbreak HERE :

ATL / BTL CAMPAING / ONLINE PROJECT CREDITS :

ADVERT AGENCY (ADVERT CAMPAING) : Outbreak
CREATIVE DIRECTOR : Petr Hanousek
COPYWRITER : Jakub Smoljak
STRATEGIC PLANNERS : Ivo Laurin, Dan Farkaš
AGENCY PRODUCERS : Kateřina Vokatá / Jan Novák
--
final TV SPOT

--
DIRECTOR OF ADVERT CLIP : Uros Trefalt
ANIMATION STUDIO (ADVERT CLIP) : Eallin animation
DOP: Petr Hojda
MUSIC : Jan Cechticky
PRODUCERS : Lukas Skalnik, Martin Hovorka
COMPOSITOR : Jiri Forejt
2D/3D: Pavel Kout, Dmitry Medinsky
--
mattepaint hall

FINAL ONLINE PROJECT
by new-media studio BrainZ
www.jarmara.at

NEW MEDIA STUDIO (ONLINE PROJECT) : BrainZ
DESIGNER OF ONLINE : Robin Pultera
ART DIRECTOR/ILLUSTRATOR ONLINE : Jan Paťava
MUSIC COMPOSER ONLINE : Štěpán Kleník

2011-2012
--

Last edited by JohnBruk : 08-20-2014 at 05:14 PM.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
JohnBruk
www.johnbruk.com

portfolio
Jan Brukner
digital artist
johnbruk
Prague, Czech Republic

Arrow 02 making of

next making of :
KOFOLA XMAS | VISUAL 3D | INTERACTIVE ONLINE PROJECT

VIMEO LINK : http://vimeo.com/103498949

Visual design of the interactive Christmas card for czech traditional non-alcoholic drink KOFOLA (czech rival of Coca-Cola and Pepsi). It was made in collaboration with studio BRAINZ under the patronage and creative direction of advertising agency KASPEN.

WORKING ROLE (WHAT I DID) : Visual artist/designer, Interactive illustrations, Visual direction
WORKING TOOLS : Maxon's CINEMA 4D(3D modeling, sculpting, texturing,lighting, rendering), Photoshop

design study of jukebox

At the beginning there was making of visual designs, next discussing the designs and in the end complete realization of stylized illustrations. The main motif in the task from advertising agency KASPEN and web studion BRAINZ was surreal jukebox, which was set into fairytale Christmas environment.

landscape concept variants

Part of the task was to reflect czech realia adressing to the czech consumer. I dealt with this by choosing classical elements characteristic (not only) for Northern Bohemia: a village with half-timbered houses and a church, village pond with a snowman or tourist symbols, which reference to traditional czech tourism or Jizerske Mountains. There is a classical dominant of the town of Liberec - Ještěd mountain on the horizon.

3D sculptng ang modeling - work in progress

The jukeboxes design should have been playful and it should have reminded a device completed from antique and disabled components - something like "antique-trash art".

3D sculptng and modeling - work in progress

polygonal 3D mesh geometry

I made more than 10 layers of overlapping illustration for simulation of a camera´s movement (paralax). Studio BrainZ added flash animation and interactive features and they connected everything to one piece. You can watch it below in this article.

photomontage / painted illustration for interactivity

final 3D visual

Above you can watch making of, where you can see gradually how I realized my visual design. Next you can see here more general facts about the project from the authors from the perspective of music, advertising strategy and efectiveness of attendance.

FINAL ONLINE PROJECT

by new-media studio BrainZ / Advrt. Agency Kaspen

ADVERISMENT AGENCY
: KASPEN/JUNGv.MATT
CREATIVE DIRECTOR : Lester Tullet
COPYWRITTER : Vít Bartek
ART DIRECTOR : Marek Hes
--
NEW MEDIA STUDIO (ONLINE PROJECT) : BrainZ
DESIGNER OF ONLINE : Robin Pultera
ONLINE PRODUCER : Štěpán Kleník
--

• ORINAL (remixed theme) MUSIC : Václav Neckář

Last edited by JohnBruk : 08-26-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: add vimeo link

Old 08-26-2014, 11:36 AM   #3
JohnBruk
www.johnbruk.com

portfolio
Jan Brukner
digital artist
johnbruk
Prague, Czech Republic

Arrow 03 making of

MANDRAGE-SILUETY | THE 3D/VFX MAKING OF MUSIC CLP

Music clip for band MANDRAGE and their song SILUETY (Silhouettes). Complex realization of environment and 3D motifs. In collaboration with VFX ARTIST Jan Sladecko, DIRECTOR Tomas Kasal and EXECUTIVE PRODUCER Dita Knotova.

VIMEO LINK : http://vimeo.com/103906257

WORKING ROLE (WHAT I DID): Concept artist (storyboarding,conceptart) / 3D animator / 3D generalist / visual direction (Landsacape and environment design)

shot 07 - The Book of The Trinity

I was offered this opportunity in the time, when Jan Sladecko, skilled compositor and motion artist, worked in London. The rest of the team was settled in Prague, where it was planned to film live actions. So, during approximately one month I had an interesting chance to work on a clip full of VFX and CGI plus to do distance work.

part of storyboard

At the beginning of a project I worked on a pre-production phase - storyboarding, making simple designs and designs of scenes. Then I worked on a realization of fullCG 3D scenes and animated mattepaintings. We little got into troubles, when we lost part of a filmed material by accident, which was transported for compositing to London. But this problem was solved immediately by our executive producer, who managed new filming and (post)production was able to continue.

The House of Moonrise

The Stairway to Heaven

Technological complexity and quality of making animations, landscapes and VFX was limited by time. We were sorry we couln´t do everything we imagined, anyway it was quite big amount of work in limited time and with limited resources. In the last phase compositor Martin Smejkal was involved in this project. Thanks to him, eveything was finished. It was a nice collaboration with director Tomas Kasal and executive producer Dita Knotova.

The Temple in the wasteland

FINAL MUSIC CLIP :

MUSIC CLIP CREDITS - (POST)PRODUCTION
FINAL CLIP : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG68bSVEf_U
DIRECTOR / SCENARIO : Tomáš Kasal
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER : Dita Knotová
2D COMPOSITOR / VFX ARTIST / ANIMATOR : Jan Sládečko (supervision, compositing and fluid simulation)
2D COMPOSITOR : Martin Smekal
full credit list you can see in the end of The official video (labove)

Old 08-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #4
JohnBruk
www.johnbruk.com

portfolio
Jan Brukner
digital artist
johnbruk
Prague, Czech Republic

Arrow 04 making of

JINGLE - "NA CESTĚ" (On The Journey) | MAKING OF 3D ENVIRONMENT ANIMATIONS

Jingle for the TV travel magazine NA CESTE (On The Journey). This magazine has been broadcasting on Czech Television since 2006 under the leadership of film produce company FRMOL. In 2013 the jingle was changed and I worked on these changes again with Pavel Sadilek. The jingle was among others remade to HD quality and I completely overdid some parts of the landscapes.

conecpt of The Airship

In 2005 I was interviewed by director Pavel Sadilek, he asked me to collaborate on a jingle for Czech television´s new travel magazine NA CESTE. Those days he liked my older sketches of a flying boat called "Drakar" and other older concepts which defined the visual direction and main motifs of the jingle.

preconcepts of environments and landscapes

First, it was made in format PAL, the first widescreen in format 16:9 on Czech TV. In 2013 we met again to remake this jingle into fullHD. The magazine has been broadcasting almost for 8 years.

old version of visuals - 2005

SHO02 - "Bridges" - inspired by Oybin(Germany) and Novina - Kryštofovo Údolí (Czech Republic) - 2014

SHOT 03 - "OIL" inspired by Arizona (USA) - red rocks "mittens" 2014

SHOT 05 "Capital city" inspired by Paris, London, Europe 2014

SHOT 06 - "The Library" - inspired by fantasy 2014

FINAL JINGLE
JINGLE/SERIES CREDITS

DIRECTOR / ANIMATOR/ 3D : Pavel Sadílek (3D boat and animation,vfx,editing)
MUSIC : Walter Kraft (OST and sounds)
PRODUCTION : Frmol

The online archive of documentary series :
http://www.ceskatelevize.cz/porady/...este-po-ohridu/

ČESKÁ TELEVIZE (CZECH TV) 2006-2014

reply share thread