CGTalk > Main > Education
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 07-28-2013, 05:36 AM   #1
Stoneclast
portfolio
USA

Question AAU, SCAD, or elsewhere for Game Design online?

Hello everyone, Iím hoping to get your insight on this matter because despite my extensive research and reviews I have read I simply canít reach a decision.

I was originally going to apply for the BFA in Game Development at SCAD but Iím no longer able to because Iím in the military and have a high chance of deployment and change of duty station per year. This has led me to re-route my undergrad game degree to an online program as I donít want to push my education back another 6+ years.

I plan to take classes at Gnomon for concept art and 3d modeling but I want to get an AA/BA/BFA/BS in the design aspects of games beforehand. So a degree that is more focused in level design, storytelling, game development, animation, and basic programmingÖ. opposed to what I plan to learn at Gnomon. I want to take classes for all parts of the game-making process so I can decide what I really want to do in the industry.

My hunt has taken me down to a choice between Academy of Art University Online (AA or BFA in Game Design) and SCAD e-Learning (BA Game Development) but Iím finding it difficult to make a choice because their programs have opposing pros and cons. AAU seems to have a great online curriculum but I have no idea whether or not the program is good compared to other schools. Meanwhile, SCAD has been moving up the ranks for top game design schools in the Princeton Review but really lacks the amount of game and related courses available to take online.

Has anyone been in either of these schoolís programs (whether it be online or campus) and can provide me with experience and suggestions? Or does anyone have recommendations for a different online game design program?

Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #2
Meloncov
Expert

portfolio
Kevin Baker
Freelance Modeller
Oakland, USA

Do you have to go for a degree granting program? Online degree programs tend to cost just as much as the brick and mortal school, while giving you far fewer resources.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:16 AM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread