How to get rid of Noise??

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
How to get rid of Noise??

I am attempting to create a realistic interior scene with sunlight coming inside the house. I used the daylight system, set to MR Photographic Exposure Control, and added one photometric light inside. I am not happy with the way it looks right now :( Lighting experts, how do you guys get rid of noise? Especially on the walls :( This is how my render looks like:

Last edited by MissOptimist : 08 August 2013 at 12:17 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Are you using light portals? Unified sampling? What are your render settings (FG, GI)?

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Sampling should be maxed out. 16 is gritty (like this) and 200 should be really smooth. If the AO map rendering you are doing is huge, try making it smaller, like 1024 or smaller so the dots are closer together. You should then be able to resize the map rendering later in Photoshop to the size you need.

I am a nube and you are probably an ultra pro, so if you already tried these things, my oops.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
Post your render settings.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
Originally Posted by lionhart: Sampling should be maxed out. 16 is gritty (like this) and 200 should be really smooth. If the AO map rendering you are doing is huge, try making it smaller, like 1024 or smaller so the dots are closer together. You should then be able to resize the map rendering later in Photoshop to the size you need.

I am a nube and you are probably an ultra pro, so if you already tried these things, my oops.

Hi there, I'm not ultra pro lol. But yea you're right about the sampling. That was the issue. It's now fixed These are good techniques I found by Jeff Patton: http://jeffpatton.net/2011/11/menta...ural-interiors/

Old 08 August 2013   #6
Awesome. Glad I was able to help.

I bookmarked that page. Looks like a great tutorial. I really need to learn to make light maps. Im still freaking out on the coolness of Ambient Occlusion maps.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
ok guys, so I increased the values for the sampling and got rid of the noise. But now there are circular spots. I checked out Jeff Patton's link and played around with the Physical Sky's disk and glow intensities, but that didn't seem to work. This is what I have so far, I don't like those circular spots on the wall at all :(

Old 08 August 2013   #8
Originally Posted by MissOptimist: ok guys, so I increased the values for the sampling and got rid of the noise. But now there are circular spots. I checked out Jeff Patton's link and played around with the Physical Sky's disk and glow intensities, but that didn't seem to work. This is what I have so far, I don't like those circular spots on the wall at all :(

Now it's your final gather density/overlap, I'm guessing. It's not able to interpolate the points well and make a smooth result. You can play a bit with rays per fg point and the density, though don't go crazy on the density. It's in the final gather menu in render settings. 200 sampling is overkill imho, but it's an easy way to clean up the noise. Your renders times are going to be... painful as you add objects into the scene. Also keep in mind that you haven't filled the scene with objects yet, so all the work you are doing you'll have to do again or retweak once there are objects.

I would fill the room with at least dummy standins to simulate what kind of lighting you'll really be getting. Furniture will do interesting things with bouncing light that can totally change what you are seeing vs. an empty room. I've seen your work and I know you're well into the modeling game, but if you're in a hurry maybe grab some standins from archive3d.net or something.

Maybe using global illumination + fg might be easier for a newbie at interiors. GI is good at smoothing out these sorts of errors, though it does wash the image out a bit like the light cache in vray. Keep in mind that much magic can happen in photoshop. One thing people try to do too often is make it perfect in the renderer, which is a noble pursuit but one that leaves you working til 3 am.

Last edited by Diffus3d : 08 August 2013 at 09:54 AM.

Old 08 August 2013   #9
I wonder if its your material? Maybe select a MR Material that is a bit more shinier. If this one is a mat finish, then that is sort of the look that kind of material would have. Just add a very light bit of glossiness to it and see if that cures it.

I remember years ago, trying to get that appearance to happen. We had to mimic it in Photoshop. Its called 'Clouds'. I think it looks good. You'll see in a lot of photos that clouds appear in walls in photos, and also varying in color.

Old 08 August 2013   #10
When I increased the values for the rays per fg point and density, the circular spots have been minimized. Thanks It wasn't a material issue. But changing the values for the fg point and density increased the render time a lot even though I brought the sampling down to 160. As far as filling up the room with objects, I'm doing this render for practice only. I will keep that in mind though about modeling everything first before lighting

Old 08 August 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread