is it possible to make a waterfall without real flow?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 07 July 2014   #1
Question is it possible to make a waterfall without real flow?

I have tried making a waterfall with realflow but found everything too confusing. I was wondering if there is any other way?

Old 07 July 2014   #2
Show us an example. Ive made a waterfall by filming my bathroom tap running and sticking it on a plane before..

Old 07 July 2014   #3
X-Particles can be used to create a waterfall effect fairly easily. I haven't tried it with Thinking Particles but that may work as well with some gravity and turbulence...just depends on how detailed/realistic you need it to be.

Old 07 July 2014   #4
Back in 2006, my low-tech version was animating the water shader
and adding some wind.

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 07 July 2014   #5
That looks quite convincing for todays visualization standards!

Old 07 July 2014   #6
Don't know how detailed you need it to be but for basic stuff even the standard particle and deformer can do the job sometimes. Here is a couple tests I've done some times ago using just C4D Prime particles, metaball and deformers(sorry I have not uploaded the video of the second one):
Attached Images
File Type: jpg test fontana.jpg (38.1 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by sirio : 07 July 2014 at 02:33 PM.

Old 07 July 2014   #7
Dpit Effex 2 and Krakatoa will give you the best possible results inside C4D, however the learning curve can be a little steep and it's gonna cost quite a bit, though far less than Real Flow.

X-Particles 2.5 is another option. It does not offer the realism of Real Flow or Dpit Effex 2 but what it lacks in realism it makes up for in both price and ease of use.

I'm commenting because I own both these plug-ins and I love them both for their individual strengths. If you choose to go with a plug-in you definitely have some great choices depending on your needs. Good Luck!

Old 07 July 2014   #8
I recently saw a tutorial creating a fairly convincing waterfall made from particular .

Old 07 July 2014   #9
Big waterfalls are mostly white water, they look more like falling clouds than water. So simple particles and sprites or pyrocluster wil probably get you what you need. I don't think you need actual fluid simulation at all in most cases.

Old 07 July 2014   #10
Depends on the shot really and how far the waterfall is away. For instance ILM shot salt falling against black and comped in to shots for waterfalls seen at a distance in some of the new star wars . You couldn't tell the difference. It's also a gag that's probably been used in the Lord of the Rings. Nowadays I'd say a simple particle system would be used but essentially the same idea wen waterfalls are seen at a distance.

However if the waterfall is near of course you will need some sort of fluid simulation. XParticles has this although not as good as real flow (the developers would be the first to admit this). But it does allow for some foam and spray so I am pretty sure that in the right hands this could create a pretty convincing waterfall.

Edit. I was wrong. It was sugar actually.

http://www.tested.com/art/makers/45...ker-faire-talk/

Last edited by rsquires : 07 July 2014 at 01:48 AM.

Old 07 July 2014   #11
background objects

how would you stick bathroom tap footage on a plane since there would be objects in the background such as soap.

Old 07 July 2014   #12
here is something i made with vid2k2's method.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachm...id=175343&stc=1

Old 07 July 2014   #13
Originally Posted by upil: how would you stick bathroom tap footage on a plane since there would be objects in the background such as soap.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cropping_(image)

Old 07 July 2014   #14
here is something i experimented with.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/attachm...id=175344&stc=1
Attached Images
File Type: png fountain.png (77.6 KB, 58 views)

Old 07 July 2014   #15
Here it is!
Free and ready to play with!
I haven't played already with this, but I think you must give it a chance!

Free Waterfall

Bye

reply share thread