Smooth nodes with wrap deformers

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Smooth nodes with wrap deformers

I saw that rigs such as the andy rig, Moom rig etc. have several features such as proxy cages, which was simple enough to do. But my problem was this feature it has. It has a low poly bound mesh, with an identical mesh with a smooth node on it, wrapped onto the bound mesh. The master control lets u put the divisions on the smooth node up to around 2, and it seems to have great deformation.

However, when i try it on my rig, that isn't the case. Basically while their meshes behave as if the smooth mesh was actually bound to it, and deforming with the joint. My mesh literally wraps around the low poly mesh, basically defeating the purpose of the wrap deformer. I tried to create a very basic rig (just a cylinder) and try to see how they did it in those rigs and reverse engineer it, but i can't seem to find out whats going wrong. Here are several screenshots below. The first is the Moom rig, and how its wrap deformer is behaving. Then below that is the simple cylinder rig, and what the problems are with it.

anyone know how i can fix/accomplish this?

Old 06 June 2013   #2
I have not seen that rig, but it sounds like they are wrapping the "identical" mesh and applying the smooth after the wrap. Much quicker that way, since you can probaby use exclusive bind on the wrap.

David

Old 06 June 2013   #3
actually the maya-internal-wrap is quite inaqurate - you see it by yourself , the loops jitter and are not deformed smoothly . that is the reason why i personally avoid to using it , whenever possible .

time for autodesk , to update the wrap , also you cannot even paint the deformerweights on wrap deformer . but well . ILM , Weta , dreamworks , they all have their own adaption of a wrap-deformer in their pipelines , so they dont aske for it , and if the major-studios dont ask for it , autodesk won't do it .

@edit:
you can see a comparision , between the maya-internal-wrap-deformer and a custom made one , in chad's blog

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGYd...player_embedded

unfortunately he never released it . but you see , what the problems are with the may-internal-one , and why he coded his own .

Last edited by tonytouch : 06 June 2013 at 10:17 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
tyvm djx. By applying the smooth node after the wrap deformer, i was able to achieve what i wanted.

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread