who here runs 10 Gb ethernet and fast storage?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #16
Originally Posted by olson: USB 3.0 has about 4Gb/s of usable bandwidth, not 10Gb/s. You might be thinking of Thunderbolt which is 10Gb/s. For the price it would be great to get stuff between two computers next to each other (USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt) but it sounds like the original poster wants to transfer files to a centralized storage server located in the data center.

Nope, not thinking of thunderbolt.

http://www.techspot.com/news/51246-...ps-in-2014.html

Old 05 May 2013   #17
Originally Posted by NicholasG: Nope, not thinking of thunderbolt.

http://www.techspot.com/news/51246-...ps-in-2014.html

That will be nice in a year or two but it doesn't help this thread.

Old 05 May 2013   #18
You have to keep in mind that our enterprise hospital IT team wouldn't deploy a consumer ivy bridge system as a server. From their point of view, it has to be a certified enterprise solution or they won't even consider it.

It'll end up being some sort of rackmount enterprise NAS xeon server. Right now they're looking into if their existing NetApp storage will be fast enough.

You can imagine the effort I had to make on how to efficiently spend $14k for rendering since I wanted to buy 10 overclocked 3930k i7 linux systems (the IT dept only supports Windows) that I maintain myself opposed to buying 2 enterprise rackmount xeon servers running Windows Server 2008 that they'd maintain. I needed the most processing power from that money as possible and they would have needed to fork out $85k (that they didn't have) to reach the same overall rendering performance with enterprise rackmount servers.

I was able to win in that case since rendering is my job field and that particular funding was limited. For dedicated file servers though, that's their area to make that decision and the funding comes from a different budget.

Last edited by sentry66 : 05 May 2013 at 09:10 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #19
Originally Posted by sentry66: ...You can imagine the effort I had to make.....

oh brother how I do know....

Old 05 May 2013   #20
yeah it's been interesting working with the IT dept. They see things from a bigger picture beyond just our dept. They'd prefer to not have every dept do their own custom on-off solution because it costs more to support vs having more unified systems across different depts. They'd rather not buy a band-aid solution for us now and would rather wait for their big solution to be implemented system-wide.

Last edited by sentry66 : 05 May 2013 at 10:15 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #21
Originally Posted by olson: That will be nice in a year or two but it doesn't help this thread.

indeed

Old 05 May 2013   #22
I really don't get why they don't call that USB4. I guess since it's not 10x faster than current USB3? It's going to get confusing if they don't call it USB3.1 or USB3v2 something different than USB3

Old 05 May 2013   #23
Originally Posted by sentry66: I really don't get why they don't call that USB4. I guess since it's not 10x faster than current USB3? It's going to get confusing if they don't call it USB3.1 or USB3v2 something different than USB3

Because that was always the USB 3.0 technology, the z77 and x79 motherboards simply didn't have support for complete functionality. Haswells new z87 platform will.

Old 05 May 2013   #24
Originally Posted by sentry66: yeah it's been interesting working with the IT dept. They see things from a bigger picture beyond just our dept. They'd prefer to not have every dept do their own custom on-off solution because it costs more to support vs having more unified systems across different depts. They'd rather not buy a band-aid solution for us now and would rather wait for their big solution to be implemented system-wide.

I have years being on the other side of that lawn.. "the grass is always greener" type of situation.

The bigger picture is not really the problem, its' generally a translation lost where the focus becomes a mantra of "do more with less". It would be like the leader of a room of artists telling them, "I want each of you to paint a 8'x10' picture, with one brush... and only use the color red."

>.<

Old 05 May 2013   #25
Hi,

sorry for my bad english, its not my native. For my farm is use the Thecus N7700 Pro.
This Thecus in combination with Intel NIC and Raid 5. The N7700 is connected to my Master Node 2x Samsung SSD Pro 840 Series and my Master Node has a QuadPort NIC to 2 different switches via Link Aggregation.

Transfer via N7700 - Masternode, single big File ~ 735 MB /s
Transfer via N7700 - Masternode, projectfile 120 GB 6669 Files ~ 440-450 MB/s

you can use the N7700 with the intel X520-SR2 too. So you have 2 10GB Ports and 2 1GB Ports. I think this is the cheapest and fastest solution.

best regards
Sven, render4you

Last edited by thunderbolt78 : 05 May 2013 at 12:25 PM.

Old 05 May 2013   #26
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread