Maxscript Tool Wishlist

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #91
where is a challenge? everything looks straightforward.
the most interesting part of the task is to find convex and concave verts/edges, and compute their convexity...
i made a tool many years ago that colored vertices based on their convexity. dust in corners and fire on sharp edges... it was awesome!

Last edited by denisT : 04 April 2013 at 01:07 AM.

Old 04 April 2013   #92
I guess things that may be a challenge to me, arent a challenge for you considering you have done nearly everything in max already at some point.

I think this would be a fun tool to create. It would be a worthy thread for everyone to learn things from I'm sure. If anyone else is interested in this idea let me know and ill start chipping away at the idea.

On a side node you mentioned making manipulators. Do you have any examples of something along those lines. I don't see the upside to making them over geo plugins like you said.
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 04 April 2013   #93
It seems like it could be a fun script to create. I'm going to go ahead and start a thread on this and see what the end result ends up being.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...303#post7574303
www.JokerMartini.com

Last edited by JokerMartini : 04 April 2013 at 12:33 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #94
i have another cool and challenging idea...
bake out-off-range animation
it could be super useful because there is no this kind built-in thing in the max. it will be perfect to have it as a Track View context menu action.

Old 05 May 2013   #95
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by DanGrover: I'm really into the idea of using Backburner for funky tasks at the moment. My latest ones have been using cmdjob's to copy files locally (say, copying a set of plugins from a networked location to the maxroot\plugins\ folder of each machine). Another is to restart vrayspawner on each machine for distributed rendering.

This is a really cool idea. I've got a project specific backburner tool that sends cmdjob's, manages them and reports completed jobs back to the MXS ui... but I found that even some rudimentary tasks in MAX are disabled on render nodes, due to the UI being shut down.

Have you already done this?

Originally Posted by denisT: do you want a real fun and challenge? write new Rollout Creator. make it smarter, more robust, and being able to support dotnet controls.

I am actually thinking of doing something more complex than this.

I have a new, very complex class structure to my code, which has some serious advantages, but it's a pain in the arse to scroll through, and can't use fileIn's or includes. My idea is as follows:

Write a MXS compiler that reads files in via a function that frames them as a type such as a rollout, structure, custom attribute, scripted plugin etc. with room for accepting custom compile time extensions. An example of what I'm thinking of:

fn makeFromFile theFile formatingFNs classProps =
(
local fileContents = getFile theFile
local fileAnswer = stringStream""
format "% % \"%\"\n(" classProps.type classProps.variable classProps.name to:fileAnswer--More complex arguments for plugins \ attributes
--format fileContents until a call for a formatingFN is found, repeat til EOF
format ")" to:fileAnswer
fileAnswer
)

The advantage of this for me would be that I can segment my files into an easy to modify file structure, do custom searches on variables and function calls to determine what parts of my library are required by individual plugins and integrate auto updating definitions into my code.

Originally Posted by jonadb: Yep, but it will looked tabbed! Another way would be to use some elaborate hold/fetch system that hold and fetches different scenes when tabs are selected but that's not very fast I guess.

I know this is a long shot; but since implementing multi-threaded dotNet and creating a hidden process via command line could get past the UI updating limitations and improve speed on SOME rare tasks. Has anyone considered this?

Last edited by senor freebie : 05 May 2013 at 06:42 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #96
Originally Posted by denisT: i have another cool and challenging idea...
bake out-off-range animation
it could be super useful because there is no this kind built-in thing in the max. it will be perfect to have it as a Track View context menu action.

From the 3dsmax help:

Tip: You can create keys for the out-of-range curves by choosing Utilities > Track View Utilities > Create Out of Range Keys.

Old 05 May 2013   #97
Originally Posted by Laserschwert: From the 3dsmax help:

if you tried to use it you have to know that the utility doesn't work right. therefore i'm not talking about a silly tool. max has them enough. i want to make the smart one.

Old 05 May 2013   #98
Originally Posted by denisT: i'm not talking about a silly tool
See, I didn't know that

Old 05 May 2013   #99
When creating a geoPlugin how do you properly reference itself?
I do not believe using the
selection[1]
is the best way to do it. It doesn't work properly. As an example if I instance a node and change the newly selected one, the instanced one doesn't know to change or update itself since its using selection[1] to reference itself.

Not in all cases is that geo selected.

such as

on buildMesh do
(
    --build mesh function

--?-- this.node.material = undefined
)
www.JokerMartini.com

Old 05 May 2013   #100
Originally Posted by denisT: if you tried to use it you have to know that the utility doesn't work right. therefore i'm not talking about a silly tool. max has them enough. i want to make the smart one.

i make the script...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg before_create.jpg (78.7 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg after_create.jpg (83.7 KB, 39 views)

Old 05 May 2013   #101
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread