The Area Selection Tool

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2005   #1
The Area Selection Tool

One of the things I love about Rhino is the area selection tool...

When you select Right to Left, that which is selected is that which falls 100% into the selection box. (Great for fine tuning selections)

When you select left to right, that which is selected is that which has part of it fall into the selection box. (Great for selecting large areas fast)

I'd love to see this feature in Silo... it would make selections far easier

Old 06 June 2005   #2
That's gotta be one of the FUNKIEST ways to area select! It really sounds like one of those love or hate types of tool methodology.

It would work well for faces & objects, but only somewhat for edges via 'convert sel to edges'. A total waste on vertexs though and I don't know just how it would interact with some of the other selection dependant tools.

Old 06 June 2005   #3
I dunno, it works really well. Right now, if I use the area select, every single polygon or edge that the area select tool touches in Silo gets selected no matter which direction I go.

If it can be fine tuned so I can select a row of edges faster, I can't seem to find a way to do this. Individually selecting ten edges is a bit tedious... doable, but tedioius.

Old 06 June 2005   #4
Well there are the other quick selection tools.

Select Path
Select Edge Loop
Select Edge Ring
& Selectable groups

Maybe if you explained what at what level of detail you are working with.

Old 06 June 2005   #5
That's an interesting idea. We would like to be able to provide for both methods of selection at some point. In the meantime, a particularly handy thing for selecting rows of edges are the partial edge ring and partial edge loop selection tools. Just select the first and last edge in the row and then use Select Edge or Select Ring and it will select the edges between them.

Old 06 June 2005   #6
Originally Posted by _Feed_: That's an interesting idea. We would like to be able to provide for both methods of selection at some point. In the meantime, a particularly handy thing for selecting rows of edges are the partial edge ring and partial edge loop selection tools. Just select the first and last edge in the row and then use Select Edge or Select Ring and it will select the edges between them.

What about using arrow keys to grow and shink, jump selections etc. like in other programs. I think some of modo's selection methods are worth looking at in your software.

Old 06 June 2005   #7
Feed, thanks! That helps me a tonne!!!

Old 06 June 2005   #8
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread