Combustion Paint Objects help

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2006
Combustion Paint Objects help

Hello guys, I am new here and I am trying to learn paint and roto in combustion 4. Does anyone know of any good paint tutorials besides the few on the Autodesk site.

Most specifically I am looking for something that shows how to change the perspective on paint objects, I know you have obviously have to do it in 3d space but I am a noob and I can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance,
-Jeremy

06 June 2006
Click on your composite layer.

Select the "Output" bar.
Activate "3d"

Select your Paint Layer.

Click "Transform"

Manipulate away.

Also... for 4 point layer manipulation (in 2d space):

Select the Layer.
Choose the "layer" bar
Under "Shape" check: Four-Corner.

06 June 2006
I just got a chance to post an image of what im trying to track...

I went ahead and used some stock footage to practice some wire removal and cloning. On the left you can see I have a group of paint objects, the righthand view just shows what the original building looks like with the objects off. I went ahead and took out the phone wire and windows with the clone tool in Combustion. Not sure if this is the best way to do this as you end up with a million little brush strokes... Someone told me clean patches are the best way to go? I still don't quite understand how you are supposed to get your clean patches going so that seems like a whole other topic.

Anyway, the camera pans down slowly throughout the shot and I am having trouble getting clean tracking data for my paint object, it keeps coming out jittery and doesn't really track accurately. I have Boujou and have been going through the tutorials and I am wondering if I should bring my footage into it and try to generate some better tracking data? I just started learning Combustion a couple weeks ago and I'm still pretty noobish, thanks for reading guys.

-Jeremy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snap3.jpg (70.7 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by corebee : 07 July 2006 at 08:26 AM.

07 July 2006
If the camera is just panning down, on a good tripod, all you should need to animate is the Y value of a single "Clone" paint stroke.

Go ahead and use the tracker to get the keyframes, but you'll probably want to clean up the resulting tracking manually. And by that I mean throwing out all the keyframes that arn't necessary. If it's a simple move, you might even just want to animate the y value on the layer manually.

Eitherway, in a case like this, 3d manipulations are extremely unnecessary, unless there is a dolly or steadicam move involved.

07 July 2006
I can't stress how much I appreciate the help, but at this point I'm starting to feel like an ass... then again I can't be too hard on myself, I just started trying to learn this stuff two weeks ago. Seems like a simple task and I feel like I should have already figured it out at this point but hey, maybe it's not as easy as it looks

I actually think I have to solve my first problem before I even bother trying to track my paint patch. I may have set this up completely wrong but if you look at the screenshot below you will see what I did, I will explain it with text as well:

(Note that I inverted my clean patch to better see the problem thats happening)

1. Imported footage
2. Added a Paint operator over the footage
3. Made a bezier around the area where I will place my clean patch
4. Filled the bezier with Reveal and set the source to my clean patch
5. Adjusted the offset to line it up with the original footage

Now at this point everything looks fine until I try to move anything. Now that I can see things clearer, this is the problem that I was having when I was trying to track my paint patch. When I animate the bezier, my paint patches fill doesn't move with it, it just stays exactly where it is on the first frame. I have tried to import patches into beziers and also tried clones with paint strokes and I dont understand why the content inside my selections/strokes doesn't travel with the selection around it? Do I have to animate the offset or? It seems to me that whatever image is inside a bezier/selection should move along with the selection?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg paint.jpg (72.9 KB, 9 views)

07 July 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread