C4D Xpreso: object selection

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

Old 06 June 2017   #1
C4D Xpreso: object selection

hey guys i have been working on a large scale project for some time and i wanted to build an xpreso node to make the work easy.
in the project i an designing a set that require objects to be placed at various locations/location from the camera.

i just discovered how to use the xpreso distance node to reduced the size of objects the further they are form camera which is really helpful.

My problem/question is that is there a way/tutorial to make xpreso nodes into tags so that i wouldn't have to open the xpreso node each time i have a new object to add. Or make something like a group box were i can place any object i want and it would be immediately be affected be that node.

i dont want to use the Hierarchy and Object Index node as that would require me to rearrange my objects and place them in one group.

Forgive me if i sound confusing cause it is a bit difficult to explain it myself .
video tutorial links would be appreciated

Old 06 June 2017   #2
You can use the xpresso tag like a node and create input potrts for it hat become visible as parameters on the xpresso tag. You could provide a link list that way that is the internaly used for iteration etc.

Old 06 June 2017   #3
still new to xpreso

thanks for the reply, i could not find anything on what you said. maybe because i am still new at xpreso so am not too familiar with it. could you provide the a link to a tutorial

Old 06 June 2017   #4
I believe Srek is talking about user data, which this tutorial appears to cover:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCghyTphS3o

Old 06 June 2017   #5
Userdata is something different, but can be used to the same effect.
What i meant is that within a xpresso tag you can create input ports on the left side of the editor and connect them to nodes in your setup. These ports show up as parameters of the tag. It is simpler than userdata, but faster to set up.

Old 06 June 2017   #6
thank you Srek i did not know this. i will try it out and provide feedback

Old 06 June 2017   #7
Huh, never knew you could do that either.

Old 06 June 2017   #8
I was also unaware that you could do this. It seems handy. I can't seem to find any way to label those inputs though.

Old 06 June 2017   #9
You can rename and reorder them, that's about it. Userdata is more flexible.

Old 06 June 2017   #10
thank you for your help again, now i am trying to work with placing the "in-/exclusion" in the first blue node so it would act like some kind of group box and any item placed in it would be effected by the node.

my problem is that i have no idea what node to use to connect the object.

in the picture, i wanted to make that "earth" node blank and link it to the in-/exclusion so that what ever object i place there would be affected by the xpreso node

Old 06 June 2017   #11
See below; this should work for you. I'd definitely recommend watching that user data tutorial, as it'll help you make a much cleaner setup. Once you learn it, it's hard not to use it!

reply share thread