Gaslight Dogs, Wylie Elise Beckert (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
Gaslight Dogs, Wylie Elise Beckert (2D)

Title: Gaslight Dogs
Name: Wylie Elise Beckert
Software:

This is the second of two pieces competed for SmArt School's 2013 Art Director Challenge under the mentorship of Lauren Panepinto and Marc Scheff - a cover illustration for the book Gaslight Dogs. Pencil and powdered graphite on white Bristol board, colored in Photoshop. Critiques on any and all aspects would be most welcome.

08 August 2013
I can't stand not to ask, sorry, but have you thought not using traditional medium to achieve such results?
I mean, I'm really fond of traditional forms of art in general of course, just curious how much struggle can be to scratch up, refine, tone w/ powder, scan in, clean up, color, retouch, et cetera - in compare of using only one medium but it's fully digital. Of course all this steps season the final result to be a very delicate one, but the question is have you ever tried?
Or you will continue with this style for a while, because this makes you feel good these time? )

By the way, nice achievement how you made the snow-blanket... Gr8 wrk.
Keep it up! :thumsup:

08 August 2013
Thumbs up

I like many aspects of this, especially the ghostly quality of the white surrounding the character and dog for the cape and snow. I particularly like how you rendered the texture contours for the wolf fur cape. The character is interesting and well designed and I like the markings on the face (kind of works with the patterning on the clothing). Your lamp posts got just a tad simplistic (maybe could've added another tone or value to the posts so that they didn't look so flat, and a couple of the tops of the lamps got a bit crooked; but this is very subtle and I like them overall). Your ghost dog/wolf is nice, and I really like how you did the ambient and reflective light on the person, especially on the hands. The contour of the chin line is slightly off (left cheek is little different), but I like how you rendered the face. Overall, a very successful piece, so keep for your portfolio. Keep it up. Great job.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by Zocsi: I can't stand not to ask, sorry, but have you thought not using traditional medium to achieve such results?
I mean, I'm really fond of traditional forms of art in general of course, just curious how much struggle can be to scratch up, refine, tone w/ powder, scan in, clean up, color, retouch, et cetera - in compare of using only one medium but it's fully digital. Of course all this steps season the final result to be a very delicate one, but the question is have you ever tried?

Eh, in all honesty I'd actually go the other way (all traditional) if I had the time and training for oils or a better handle of watercolor (and if it wasn't so damn easy to ruin a traditional piece). I do a lot of sketching and almost all of the color digitally, but for the work I'm doing right now I feel like the texture and level of control I can get with pencil line art is superior to what I can do digitally - and aside from a few minutes to scan a piece, it isn't really any more time consuming since my hand would still have to draw the same lines... It's also nice to get off my computer for a little bit each day

Veronica, thanks for pointing out the details I missed. I wanted a tiny bit of asymmetry to the face to avoid that copy/flip look, but now that I look at it I think I went a little further than necessary for a natural look. Good eye!

08 August 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread