What's a good Linux distro for Maya 2013/2014?

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
I don't like later version of Fedora. It feels almost like Windows 8 if you know what I mean.

04 April 2013
Fedora is probably better for detecting more hardware than CentOS/Stella.

It's hard to find a perfect main workstation linux distro that does everything that both is easy with hardware driver installation and software installation. At some point you'll have to get your hands dirty with dealing with recompiling.

I think Mint is a fantastic OS for most linux things...other than easily installing maya

04 April 2013
FRom what I'm seeing, Mint is based on Debian though, which wouldn't be very helpful with Maya and other RHEL-biased apps. I think you're implying that though

04 April 2013
Originally Posted by cgbeige: FRom what I'm seeing, Mint is based on Debian though, which wouldn't be very helpful with Maya and other RHEL-biased apps. I think you're implying that though

Maya isnt that hard to install on any distro, even arch/gentoo. However rpm is easier, i prefer openSuSe over rhel/fedora based distros. 18month support cycle, rpm based, good community. Most things work out the box, good community repos etc.

05 May 2013
Easy to install!?? Whah?

I read in google about one particular way to install maya and then 5 other ways to install another.
I can't get it going. I keep reading over and over the manual. In order to do this, I must fist do this, but before I do that, I must do this... and that refuses to work because...

I can see nothing in the world of linux has changed. Linux geeks have gotta standardize because simple basic installation for programs is so randomly executed. And one, I might add, for a very expensive program. What's with installing stuff via repositories? Servers keep failing on me. NVidia X driver is refusing to install cleanly. What is so difficult making a double clicking file that opens up the installer. Why does one need to use a terminal and type lines upon lines of stuff using an alien language). In the manual, the setup process is like 5 times the amount of documentation than there is for Win and OSX.

It's 2013 and barely anything has changed.

Well there's my rant.

Fire when ready.

Last edited by egglybagelface : 05 May 2013 at 04:38 PM.

05 May 2013
I had a feeling this was how things were going to turn out given the reaction to centOS/Stella

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by egglybagelface: Easy to install!?? Whah?

I read in google about one particular way to install maya and then 5 other ways to install another.
I can't get it going. I keep reading over and over the manual. In order to do this, I must fist do this, but before I do that, I must do this... and that refuses to work because...

I can see nothing in the world of linux has changed. Linux geeks have gotta standardize because simple basic installation for programs is so randomly executed. And one, I might add, for a very expensive program. What's with installing stuff via repositories? Servers keep failing on me. NVidia X driver is refusing to install cleanly. What is so difficult making a double clicking file that opens up the installer. Why does one need to use a terminal and type lines upon lines of stuff using an alien language). In the manual, the setup process is like 5 times the amount of documentation than there is for Win and OSX.

It's 2013 and barely anything has changed.

Well there's my rant.

Fire when ready.

Linux is open, open brings complexity. While windows and osx have a single executable file, there isnt much change on the backend. Linux is an ever changing landscape, which is a plus and minus. This works in almost all linux distro's however:
rpmextract Maya....x86_64.rpm /

then create a new file mayainstall.c, with the following

int main (void) {return 0;}

run gcc mayainstall.c, then copy a.out to /usr/bin/rpm (dont overrite rpm if it exists)
chmod +x /usr/bin/rpm

sudo ./setup

follow the setup wizard, input your details. Once complete rm -Rf /usr/bin/rpm

then run maya (you'll need to activate). This works for me on just about any distro. Its not as easy and windows or osx, but chances are if your using linux + maya, your capable of installing something without using a gui + buttons, if not then centos/fedora/opensuse.

05 May 2013
don't use sudo because CentOS doesn't put you in the sudoers list by default. Read the tutorial I linked to on my blog.

05 May 2013
Yeah yeah.... it open. It's flexible. blah blah blah. heard it all before.

Yet another path to try.... Why is yours different from all the other post in various threads I've read. And plenty of youtube videos?

Quote: rpmextract Maya....x86_64.rpm /

then create a new file mayainstall.c, with the following

int main (void) {return 0;}

run gcc mayainstall.c, then copy a.out to /usr/bin/rpm (dont overrite rpm if it exists)
chmod +x /usr/bin/rpm

sudo ./setup

----------
And another example of a different method.

Originally Posted by cgbeige: don't use sudo because CentOS doesn't put you in the sudoers list by default. Read the tutorial I linked to on my blog.

jedipottsy says use sudo.
cgbeige says don't.

-------

I'll give your installer script another shot. Thanks for that.

But there is probably so many left over files scattered everywhere. When installing Maya I get an alart bubble saying bl blah can't clean up afterwards because of this and that.

05 May 2013
Different distributions handle sudo differently. If your on centos your not going to be using rpm extract. You'll switch to root to execute setup or run setup via kdesu etc. Or I can add yourself to sudo after editing /etc/sudoers via visudo and adding yourself to the relevant group. There is nothing wrong with sudo, just by default sudo won't work on centos.

By the way welcome to Linux, there's more than one way to skin this cat.
Essentially the rpm files are just archives containing Maya in the various folders needed to be extracted to /. Rpm extract to / is the simplest way of getting those files there, creating an rpm executable file that always returns true makes setup think the packages have installed correctly. Then running setup will setup the license and variables you need.

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread