IP Incubator!: Ray & Clovis

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 01 January 2015   #16
@Jspoon: Yes I have actually! I'm good friends with their creator I like it. We have our own internal software that we've been working with for almost a decade now (we've been doing shorts for a while!) Buckshot does look great though!

Ray & Clovis

CATEGORY : Animation
STATUS NUMBER : 10
TEAM MEMBERS : 20 (Voluntary)

Welcome to the world of Ray & Clovis starring Ray, a laid back iguana, and his high-energy, low-maturity cat roommate, Clovis. Just trying to make it through the day, Ray's world gets turned upside-down with Clovis' monster-summoning, bad-joke telling, daily mischief.

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE :Right now! Barbecue and Boomerangs

WIP THREAD : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...123#post7980123

WHAT WENT RIGHT THIS MONTH :

Now we're really pushing the look and refining the design. We're trying to make it prettier, more like playdoh for the characters, and more painterly for backgrounds. We've got a long way to go but I think this new look is a step in the right direction.

WHAT WENT WRONG :

The tree and leaves don't look that great. We could really have pushed the look there. The grass is a nice step in the right direction, but it's too big and chunky. It's kind of distracting too.

SHOW AND TELL :

Click to Play!

Old 03 March 2015   #17

Ray & Clovis

STATUS NUMBER : 11

Welcome to the world of Ray & Clovis starring Ray, a laid back iguana, and his high-energy, low-maturity cat roommate, Clovis. Just trying to make it through the day, Ray's world gets turned upside-down with Clovis' monster-summoning, bad-joke telling, daily mischief.

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE :Soon

WIP THREAD : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...20&postcount=17

Well we blew up the renders. I detailed it in this blog post ( http://theoryanimation.com/blog/why-most-projects-fail ) but the gist of it: we kept having different render problems. When we solved one, we uncovered another, and another. It turned into a massive headache. BUT! That is what went right! Had we not gone through so many iterations, we wouldn't be where we are right now. We're much stronger now because of it.

WHAT WENT WRONG :

Communication. Again, that blog post details all of it. Communication lumped with Strategic overview. That is, everyone did their job right, but when you put all the pieces together you realize that it didn't come out right at all! Crap! This happens and you have to be willing to grow up and work on a solution together.

It didn't help I had a bit of migraine too :0

SHOW AND TELL :

Here's an image. I update our newsletter quite frequently too

Last edited by daraand : 03 March 2015 at 01:05 AM.

Old 03 March 2015   #18

Ray & Clovis

STATUS NUMBER : 12

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE :Now

WIP THREAD : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...20&postcount=18

We finished the short... some how o_O

WHAT WENT WRONG :

We... kept screwing up with renders. This was tough - we have a great crew doing rendering and lighting however we kept missing small things (material ids, object ids, incorrect blurring). But the best part was having a character update that blew up all of our renders (documented here).

Anyways, we got it done, some how ! Go watch

SHOW AND TELL :

Old 03 March 2015   #19

Ray & Clovis

STATUS NUMBER : 13

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE :Now

WIP THREAD : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...20&postcount=19

This short was a challenge because of the time we had. The studio is getting busy with contract work, artists getting new gigs, and a big push for next month's 2 year anniversary! So... somehow we got this one done too. Admittedly a lot of the team is being stretched thin these days. You'll nice a few graphical glitches in this too... we only had one shot at rendering with our rented hardware this month, so we just took it and went with it.

WHAT WENT WRONG :

Graphic glitches. I'm not too proud of them honestly. They are there, and we just went with it. Also one artist forget to publish updates so we had to re-render another pass. This wasn't a huge issue, but they got it done and we comped it in. Overall, when you're limited on rendering resources, you make do and just put something out there. That's often better than waiting around to make it 'perfect'.

SHOW AND TELL :

Old 04 April 2015   #20

Ray & Clovis

STATUS NUMBER : 14

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE :Next Week

WIP THREAD : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...20&postcount=20

We surprisingly got our animated short done! This month was brutal with the launch of Patreon, a couple of talks, and contract work. This pushed animation behind on our new short, but somehow, we got it done! Somehow It's in rendering now, aiming for next week to release.

WHAT WENT WRONG :

Time management could have allotted more time for animating to buy us more time for render. Still, here we are, cranking through post and doing what we can to get it done. Just need to throw it onto the farm and hope nothing melts...

SHOW AND TELL :

Old 05 May 2015   #21

Ray & Clovis

STATUS NUMBER : 15

ESTIMATED COMPLETION DATE :Next Week

WIP THREAD : http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpos...20&postcount=21

Alright. We're one week away from release and so far nothing is on fire, though let me tell you it feels like it is. We've had a couple of contract gigs come our way (woohoo!) and we're melting our render farm getting this episode out. Funny thing: We're also experimenting with Google Cloud to render... but that should go under what went wrong :d

WHAT WENT WRONG :

Google Cloud!

Haha. It's actually a wonderful system and we love it. We'll be converting over a lot to it soon. Deadline is a great piece of software for managing our renders in the cloud too. The only caveat: none of this stuff is artist friendly and requires a large learning curve if you've never used Linux before. Still, you can learn everything by a few videos, clicks and experimentation.

SHOW AND TELL :

reply share thread