Spaceship corridor WIP

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Spaceship corridor WIP

Hi guys. I've gotten some good criticism in the past here, and I wanna share another project with you and get some feedback.

Since i finished my last project, which was an exterior scene i wanted to do something completely different this time. I chose to do a interior scene with a sci fi twist. and maybe make a small camera animation in the end.

Some time ago I found this concept art which i really liked, and wanted to do a 3D version of it.

I've finished the modeling and textured about half (floor, "padded" walls, some of the door, minor stuff).

My plan is to light the scene with a couple of rectangular lights in the bottom and top shafts giving a little ambient light, and then add some ceiling lights (meshlight) which would light the scene properly (like in the concept art). But i cant get the lights to give much light without completely overblowing. I want them to spread more without overblowing. i've tried playing with the light cut off threshold, but that only cuts off light it seems.

I could add more rectangular lights close to the meshlights to fake them spreading more, but is that a good way to do that?

How do I do that? I use vray and non LWF btw.

Any comments is most appreciated!!!

Meshlight

Rendering with lights, Fullres

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Really a promising model, looking forward to it. Put some rectangular vray lights on to the windowed areas and turn them to portal lights (also put a direct light outside the model so that the portal lights can grab it and guide it to the inner areas. And add one or two point lights or even vray lights to illuminate inside.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Thank you ! I have one rect light in the top and one in the bottom already. I have never used the skylight portal though. how does it work? the vray manual does not offer that much information on how to use it.

btw, the test render (low settings in GI and subdivs) with the ceiling lights added took over 2 hours, and without them only takes 7 minutes. why is that? normal?

Old 10 October 2013   #4
In order to execute the skylight portal system, windows is a must. So that the portal light captures the light from outside and illuminate inside. Portal light is used to convey lights that's it. And high render time is quiet usual with vray lights. For the same reason i never use vray lights. i always use direct light with vray shadows on. it makes sense. Vray lights always provide promising quality to your renders. But you can always achieve the same with a direct or spot light. For that, override your textures with a single default vray material with diffuse value somewhat in between 120-180. The idea is to achieve a warm scene according to your needs. Achieve the depth with clay renders then apply textures one by one and you can see the difference.
This is what i am talking about :
Interior.jpg

And as i said before sky portal needs a window or something, go for it only if you have windows.
Here's the link to it :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR6A6P2zQhw

Just go through the video and you will find.

And yes put vray light materials to tube lights and stuffs if you have any. It takes less time to process. Never go with vray lights if you want less render time, Because you if you are planning to animate the scene it demands higher subdivision and settings to eliminate possible flickers. And the benefit of direct is you don't need to put high settings because it already comes with less noise compared to vray light
Cheers

Last edited by maxster : 10 October 2013 at 03:54 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
Thank you for the explanation, i get the idea now, but i cant get it to work. i've added a directional light outside the top window and checked the skylight portal checker in the rect light. but i see no difference. the scene is also very dark now. i had to to use iso 2500 and soft shadows to see anything. maybe because of non LWF ?? isnt there a way to get those vraylightmtl's to spread out more? i havent used caustics so far. the lighttubes are behind glass, but do i have to use caustics to get the light to shine through?

Old 10 October 2013   #6
Looks pretty cool. I wonder though about using portal lights as they are designed to be used when there is an environment out side the window. So I am not sure what you would be gaining by doing that. In space there is no atmosphere to diffuse the light. That is why shadows in space tend to be very hard. You will of course have secondary light bounce that illuminates the interior to some extent. But I would caution against relying to much on exterior lights to illuminate the interior.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
Ok, got the problem. Portal lights or whatever lights in vray only works if its in an open place (If your portal light is behind the glass then it will not work) Since its in space there should not be any window off course it make sense . I meant, vray doesn't shoot light through a glass according to my experience. I usually replace the glass material with a default material with reflection an specularity plus adjusting the opacity of the glass works for me, If someone else here know how to make it done with a vray proper glass material then please illuminate us
@Ginyuman, i will just replicate your scene with some basic primitives and let you know as soon as i find something.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Ok here is my progress so far, just a very basic stuff. You can do two things :

1) Use as many point lights as you want, align it horizontally till the end of the corridor or whatever. Adjust the intensity or play with "Bright multiplier" & "Dark multiplier" under vray color mapping to adjust the light globally. Here is the Render of the basic scene with three point lights aligned horizontally.

2)Same thing with vray light. Create a spherical vray light, just turn on the invisible thing to make the emitter hidden to camera and check specular and reflection check box as per your requirement. Don't forget to tweak the sampling subdivision of vray light to around 32. Here is the rendered scene with 3 vray spherical lights with sampling subdivision = 32 each.

For the tube light. Make a standard material with adjusted opacity, reflection and specular and apply it to the outer cage glass outside the tube. Apply a light material to the tube light. Here is what i have done with a ramp into light material. But create a map in Photoshop to make it much convincing. Tweak the intensity of light material or put vray rectangular light parallel to the tube.

You can see the variation in render time with both point light and vray light. For animation stuffs you need to bump up the settings to an higher level to eliminate flickering with vray lights and with point lights the low setting will be enough.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
thanks for all the great advice, i really appreciate it

i think i'm gonna go with a direct light to make the hard shadow and then illuminate the rest of the scene with a couple of rect lights like i did before, and then have the tubelights like you said. then place some point lights or spheres where it make sense to brighten the scene further. i suspect that light coming from the computer screens and interfaces will add some color to the scene as well.

I'll try it out later today, see what works best and put a few renders up.

thanks again guys!

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Something is wrong with the lighting. It somehow looks very basic, like in game style. Maybe that's your goal.

But I cannot say much about lighting setup as this is one field I sucks. I do think the scence, while pretty good, can push for more details, especially compare to the concept.

Keep it up, I look forward to see more.

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Oh I was going to ask about the screens as well. I was wondering what the story was behind the number of screens. Seems like there are a lot of them.

Old 02 February 2014   #12
Finally finished the scene. The project had been put on the shelf for a while due to work.

What do you think?

FullRes

Old 02 February 2014   #13
Loving it!

It looks better than the original one

Old 02 February 2014   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread